Explore 7 natural remedies for hives to get immediate relief at home!
Hives are itchy predicaments that affect 20% of the population at some point during their lives. They are a cluster of red raised bumps or welts that appear on the skin.
There are various triggers of hives including negative reactions to certain foods, plants, medication and bug bites. You can also get hives if you’re stressed, exposed to too cold temperatures or even strong sunshine. People with asthma or hay fever are more prone to hives than others.
Most hives go away within a few hours. Some may take a few days but severe cases can last up to a week. There’s also something called chronic hives which is a situation where a person constantly develops hives throughout his/her life. If you have this type of hives then please see your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Rarely hives can also be an early symptom of anaphylaxis. If you suspect you have anaphylaxis, immediately see a doctor because it can be deadly.
Most people successfully treat hives using natural remedies! Natural remedies soothe skin, reduce inflammation and help stop itching! Check out 7 natural remedies for hives below!
7 Natural Remedies for Hives
1. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
In my opinion, this is by far the best remedy for hives. Apple cider vinegar is a miracle worker when it comes to stopping that awful hives itch plus it reduces inflammation and gets rid of the hive very fast! Look for raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar ‘with the mother’. I like Braggs Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar. Do not use the synthetic types found on supermarket shelves.
- ACV Treatment for Hives: Simply wet paper towels with undiluted ACV and dab onto your hives several times a day. It works!
2. Essential Oils
Essential oils are also amazing when it comes to dealing with the itching that hives bring. They also calm down inflammation and reduce irritation. There are several essential oils for hives. My favorite are peppermint, tea tree and lavender. You can check out more essential oils for hives here: Essential Oils for Hives. You can also gently apply this Essential Oil Blend for Hives!
3. Coconut Oil
I recently shared how coconut oil is good for hives. You can read the post here. It has nice skin soothing properties, antibacterial properties and helps speed up healing. The best way to use it is by mixing it up with hive-healing essential oils as follows:
- Coconut Oil Hive Healer: In a large bowl, dump in ½ cup coconut oil. Now add 5 drops peppermint oil, 3 drops tea tree oil, 3 drops lavender oil and 3 drops frankincense oil. Whip the mixture with a hand mixer to form a soft cream. Gently smooth a suitable amount of this mixture on your skin.
4. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is like a god send for cooling down hot bothered and itchy hives. It provides a pleasant cooling sensation when applied to hives. Mix it up with essential oils for best results:
- Hive Gel: Add 1 cup of aloe vera gel into a large bowl. Now add 7 drops peppermint oil, 5 drops tea tree oil, 5 drops lavender oil, 5 drops helichrysum oil. Whisk well to distribute the essential oils into the gel. Get someone to lightly smooth the gel onto your hives for a cooling and numbing sensation.
5. Oatmeal Baths
Oatmeal baths are the number one remedy when it comes to itchy irritated skin. Oatmeal has a soothing effect on skin! It also has natural saponins that gently cleanse skin from irritants.
- Oatmeal Lavender Bath: Mix up 5 drops of lavender essential oil in 1 tbsp coconut oil. Add this mixture to 1-2 cups of colloidal oatmeal. Add this to cold or tepid bath water. Stir well and soap for as long as you want.
6. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is antiseptic and has soothing properties for hives. It also has astringent effects that help with the itching. You should apply it several times a day to help heal your hives. You can also mix it up with essential oils: for every tsp of witch hazel, add about 1-2 drops of essential oil.
7. Baking Soda
Believe it or not, baking soda is a remedy for many skin woes including poison ivy rashes and hives! It calms hives, dries up skin and prevents new hives form popping up.
- Baking Soda Soother: Mix up ¼ cup of baking soda (or more if your hives are over a large area of skin) with just enough water to create an easily applicable paste. Gently apply the paste on your hives about 4-5 times a day. You can also just add 1-2 cups of baking soda to your bath to get immediate relief!
Do you have any valuable natural remedies for hives that have worked for you? Please share below!