Something you’ve all been waiting for…a meadowfoam seed oil hair recipe! I know you’ll just LOVE this one! You can use it on all hair types but it works especially well for natural hair, dry hair, damaged hair and those with thick hair!
Have you ever heard of meadowfoam seed oil? It’s something amazing for your hair and skin! Meadowfoam seed oil is a carrier oil extracted from the seeds of a plant called meadowfoam (scientific name: Limnanthes alba). It has a medium to thick consistency but feels light and non greasy when applied on your hair/skin! Below are some of the benefits of meadowseed foam seed oil for hair:
Why You Should Use Meadowfoam Seed Oil on your Hair
Meadowfoam seed oil contains nutrients such as vitamin E, vitamin C, oleic acid, linoleic acid and special fatty acids including ecosenoic acid, euric acid and docosadienoic acid! These nutrients nourish hair follicles and the hair strands, promoting lush, thick, soft and shiny hair! Here are the top benefits of meadowfoam seed oil for your hair:
- Amazing hair moisturizer
- Delivers nutrients deep into hair
- Rich in antioxidants
- Forms a barrier to lock in moisture
- Makes hair soft and manageable
- Is light and easy to apply
- Adds a beautiful sheen to hair
- Slows moisture loss from hair
Meadowfoam Seed Oil Hair Recipe
- 2 tbsp meadowfoam seed oil
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp jojoba oil
- 1 tbsp camellia oil
- 10 drops sweet orange essential oil
- Small funnel
- 2 oz amber glass dropper bottle or applicator bottle for storage
Benefits of Each Ingredient
- Grapeseed oil – Extracted from grape seeds, this carrier oil has a thin and light consistency. It’s perfect for moisturizing hair without weighing it down! It makes the hair oil lighter and helps keep hair soft.
Jojoba oil – Jojoba oil is a good choice when it comes to treating dry hair. It helps balance sebum production on the scalp!
- Camellia oil – An exquisite oil, camellia oil is super helpful for moisturizing dry hair while repairing damaged ends. It’s known to be used by Japanese Geishas to maintain their silky long midnight black hair!
- Sweet orange essential oil – It smells fun, fruity and uplifting! It also adds a shine to hair, strengthens strands and keeps your hair smelling lovely! You can substitute it with any of your favorite smelling oils! I especially love a few select essential oils for hair and these include: rose otto, geranium, rosemary, ylang ylang and sandalwood!
- Using a small funnel, carefully pour 2 tbsp meadowfoam seed oil, 1 tbsp grapeseed oil, 1 tbsp jojoba oil and 1 tbsp camellia oil.
- Next add 10 drops of sweet orange essential oil.
- Remove the funnel and cap the bottle tightly.
- To combine the oils thoroughly, roll the bottle between your palms. This ensures the oils get mixed up without creating air bubbles that encourage rancidity.
How to Use this Hair Oil
- Leave-in conditioner: Pour ½ to 1 tsp of this meadowfoam seed oil hair blend onto your palm, rub them together then apply it on your freshly washed hair.
- Hair styler: Apply a suitable amount on your hair before tying a ponytail, twists, a bun, etc!
- Hair mask: For dry damaged hair, treat yourself to a hair mask! Apply about 1-2 tsp on your scalp and hair length. Put your hair up and cover it with a shower cap, saran wrap or cotton scarf. After an hour or two, wash your hair as usual. Don’t forget to use a natural sulfate-free shampoo.
- Hair serum: Apply a few drops on your hair length whenever it feels dry, needs some shine or to fix unruly curls/locks.
I hope you enjoy making and using this meadowfoam seed oil hair recipe for natural hair! Come share your results!