Try this homemade hot oil treatment for dry hair to moisturize dehydrated, frizzy or brittle hair strands!
A hot oil treatment is one of the best things you can do to make your hair moisturized and glossy! In this article, we’re going to see what a hot oil treatment is, what its benefits are and how to make a homemade hot oil treatment for dry hair!
What is a Hot Oil Treatment?
A hot oil treatment sounds like something fancy, doesn’t it? Well, it is! And the fact that you can do it right at home makes it even more amazing!
A hot oil treatment is one where you apply warm oil to your scalp and hair strands. It feels so soothing and relaxing plus it has lots of scalp & hair benefits! You can use many oils that are good for your hair such as coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil.
For dry hair, castor oil is one of the best choices so that’s what we shall be using in this homemade hot oil treatment! But first, let’s explore the benefits of doing a hot oil treatment:
Benefits of Hot Oil Treatment
- Penetrates deep into the hair follicles
- Nourishes hair
- Deeply moisturizes hair
- Stimulates hair growth
- Makes hair shiny and glossy
- Prevents hair breakage
- Repairs hair damaged by heat tools
- Helps seal split ends
- Strengthens the hair shaft
- Prevents hair fall
- Soothes the scalp
- Treats scalp eczema & psoriasis
- Fights fungal infections on the scalp
- Gets rid of dandruff
- Moisturizes and heals dry scalp
Those are the benefits of a hot oil treatment! What a long list of awesomeness, right?! Now let’s get to the fun part – how to make a homemade hot oil treatment for hair!
Homemade Hot Oil Treatment for Dry Hair
This is my go-to recipe for a homemade hot oil treatment. In fact, I just used it today!
- 1 tsp castor oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp black seed oil
- ½ tsp moringa oil
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil
- Small bowl
- Large bowl filled with hot water
- Shower cap
- Natural sulfate-free shampoo
- Measure out and pour all the oils into a small glass bowl.
- Mix them together with a spoon.
- Place the bowl into a larger bowl filled with hot water.
- Make sure the water doesn’t go into the oil!
- Now let the oils gently heat up for half a minute or more.
- Your homemade hot oil treatment for dry hair is ready!
How to Use the Hot Oil Treatment
- Remove your hair from its current style.
- Start applying the oil onto your scalp using a spoon.
- Make sure to cover all areas of your scalp.
- Next apply the remaining oil on your hair.
- Tie your hair up and fit it all into a shower cap.
- Let the hot oil treatment work for 30-60 minutes.
- Wash your hair very well using a natural sulfate-free shampoo. You can shampoo your hair twice if necessary to remove all oils. I usually forego conditioner because the oils are naturally conditioning but if you want, go ahead and condition your hair too!
- When your hair dries, it’ll be soft, fluffy and healthy! Repeat this just once a week or once in 2 weeks!
Will you try out this homemade hot oil treatment for dry hair?