Use natural remedies for split ends to heal your damaged hair by deeply nourishing it!
Split ends are super frustrating because no matter what you may do, they say the only way to fix them is by trimming your hair. It takes most of us ages to grow out our hair so trimming it off 1 inch can be something we don’t want to do. And even then, most split ends don’t just stay at the bottom of your hair – you can find them even much high above your hair ends! This means you’re going to have to trim off a LOT more than 1 inch!
But don’t despair! You don’t need to trim your hair or hack most of it off because of split ends. There are some effective natural remedies that work!
In this post, we’re going to show you how to get your split ends together using kitchen ingredients! They help repair your damaged hair and seal those split ends up by deeply nourishing & moisturizing your hair. Read on!
Note: You must use these treatments continuously to see results! If you have severe split ends, then you do have to trim your hair before beginning these treatments. Also make sure you’re not using a fluffy towel to wrap your hair after a shower because this causes split ends – use an old T-shirt instead! Ensure to drink enough water throughout the day and take Vitamin E supplements – we like Nature Made Vitamin E Capsules – to heal split ends from the inside-out!
7 Natural Remedies for Split Ends
Below are 7 effective natural remedies for split ends that you must try out!
1. Sweet Almond Oil
In Indian Ayurveda, sweet almond oil is recommended to be used when it comes to sealing off split ends. It is super rich in Vitamin E that repairs dry damaged hair, while moisturizing it. You can apply it straight to your hair ends right after a shower, or try this sweet almond split end serum:
- Sweet Almond Split End Serum: Fill up a 2 oz amber glass dropper bottle almost to the top with sweet almond oil. Next add 4 drops geranium essential oil, 4 drops lavender essential oil and 4 drops sandalwood essential oil. Cap the bottle tightly and roll it between your palms to combine everything without creating air bubbles. To use, apply 4-7 drops along your hair length on freshly washed hair that’s still damp.
2. Honey & Olive Oil
The honey and olive oil combination is another natural remedy for split ends. Honey is a humectant which means it draws moisture from the surroundings and locks it into the hair strands. Olive oil also contains a lot of Vitamin C and oleic acid, which is good for lubricating dry hair. Combine the two together and you’ll have a nourishing & moisturizing mask that’ll help seal off split ends!
- Honey & Olive Oil Hair Mask: Into a bowl, add 1 tbsp raw honey and 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil. Mix the two together to form a mixture then place the bowl over a pan of hot water to warm up. You can also use a microwave to warm it up, if you own one. Now wet your hair then work the mixture from root to tip. Cover your hair with a shower cap and let the mask work its magic for an hour. Rinse off thoroughly and shampoo with a natural sulfate-free shampoo & conditioner.
3. Coconut Oil
Yes, coconut oil works for split ends too! Coconut oil is the holy grail when it comes to hair issues – thinning hair, dandruff, itchy scalp and split ends too! Use it as a pre-poo conditioning treatment to protect your hair from being stripped of its proteins and natural oils, preventing split ends.
- Coconut Oil Conditioner: Onto dry hair, start applying a 1-3 tsp (amount depends on how length/thickness) of creamy coconut oil from root to tip. Leave it on for 30 minutes then shower as usual. You may need to shampoo twice to remove excess coconut oil from your hair. Just make sure to use a natural shampoo!
Avocado is filled with nourishing & lubricating fats such as oleic acid that replenishes moisture in dry lifeless hair! It also contains a healthy amount of Vitamin E that keeps hair moisturized, shiny and lustrous. Do an avocado hair treatment to help fix split ends and dry damaged hair!
- Avocado Hair Treatment: Scoop out the flesh of one ripe avocado into a high speed blender. Next add 1 tsp of coconut oil and 4 drops of lavender essential oil. Blend till absolutely smooth without any lumps. Apply it from root to tip onto dry hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes with your hair in a shower cap. Rinse off thoroughly with tepid water then shampoo your hair as usual. Do this once a week!
Egg is rich in protein and sulfur, two nutrients that make up our hair strands. Using eggs on your hair is an age-old remedy for strong longer hair! The protein in eggs fortify the hair roots, strengthen the hair strands and promote hair growth too. By strengthening your hair strands, egg repairs existing split ends and preventing new ones from cropping up.
- Protein Hair Mask: My favorite way of using eggs regularly to strengthen hair is making a protein hair mask. Here’s the recipe: How to do a Weekly Egg Treatment for Hair.
Call me crazy but mayonnaise is one of the best things you can slather on your hair to fix dry damaged hair & split ends! It contains fat and oils that give hair a protective coating that keeps it moisturized and healthy. To use mayonnaise, just get a tbsp of it and start slathering it all over your hair length. Leave it on for 30 minutes for it to be effective then rinse off very well and shampoo twice to leave your hair looking conditioned and healthy again!
7. Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt is also effective for banishing split ends! Make sure to use plain Greek yogurt or even labneh. It should be thick, unflavored, unsweetened and filled with live cultures. You can apply it directly onto your dry hair as a hair mask or make this Egg Yogurt Hair Mask for Strong Long Hair
Interested in trying out the above natural remedies for split ends? Which one is your favorite? Share below!