Yes, there are some exciting beauty benefits of cornstarch for your skin, hair and more! Read them below!
Most of us have a box/tub of cornstarch in our kitchen cabinets, right?! We mainly use it for thickening soups, sauces and curries but did you know that you could use it for a lot of beauty purposes too?!
That’s what we will be discussing in this post! From volumizing hair to making your own DIY bronzer, let’s explore 17 exciting beauty benefits of cornstarch!
17 Beauty Benefits of Cornstarch for Skin & Hair
1. DIY Bronzer
One of the easiest makeup items you can make at home is DIY bronzer! Here’s the recipe:
- Easy DIY Bronzer: In a mixing bowl, add 2 tsp cornstarch, 1 tbsp cinnamon powder, 1 tsp cocoa powder, 1 tsp nutmeg powder and 7 drops of lavender essential oil. Mix well with a whisk then press into a clean and empty compact powder case. Apply with a powder brush for defined cheekbones. Definitely experiment with the amount of cocoa powder to suit your skin color. The above recipe is suitable for those with olive skin tones!
2. Makeup Setter
Did you know you can use cornstarch as a makeup setter? Try this DIY Setting Spray with Cornstarch! It keeps makeup looking set and matte.
3. DIY Dry Shampoo
Dry shampoo is for those days when you don’t have time to wash your hair before you head out. Maybe you forget to set your alarm and woke up late?! Don’t worry, cornstarch can just save your bad hair day! Make this DIY Dry Shampoo and enjoy your clean silky hair!
4. Reduces Oily Hair
If you have oily skin, use cornstarch because it has absorbent powers. Simply dust cornstarch over your skin and be on your way. If you wear makeup, you can make a DIY Translucent Powder (recipe at Point 10 below) and reapply when your skin looks greasy and shiny.
5. Relieves Itchy Skin
Itchy skin whether it’s caused by bug bites, skin rashes or irritations, you can relieve it instantly using cornstarch. Simply fill a clean empty cheese shaker with cornstarch then add a few drops of tea tree essential oil. Shake onto itchy skin and gently spread it on to soothe and relieve your itch instantly.
6. Homemade Scented Body Powder
One of the best beauty benefits of cornstarch is that you can make homemade scented body powder with it. It’s even safe to use for babies because it doesn’t contain talc, artificial fragrances and preservatives! Here’s the recipe:
- Lavender – Rose Scented Body Powder: In a dry mixing bowl, add 1 cup of cornstarch, ¼ cup of kaolin clay, 7 drops of lavender essential oil and 7 drops of rose otto essential oil. Mix well with a whisk. Transfer the body into sealable containers and store in a cool dry place. You can store a smaller amount in a cheese shaker for easy access and application.
7. Clears Acne
Cornstarch is absorbent when it comes to removing excess oils on skin. This helps reduce oil clogging up pores, hence clearing up acne. It also soothes red and painful acne prone skin. If you have body acne, dust cornstarch all over your body (you can use the scented body powder recipe above). It is going to clear up or reduce your acne, whether it’s on the back, chest or elsewhere.
8. For Sensitive Skin
Soothe sensitive skin by gently dusting cornstarch on it! It helps relieve pain, itching and discomfort by soothing skin.
9. DIY Deodorant
Cornstarch is one of the key ingredients in my homemade deodorant cream recipes. Check out my favorite Ylang Ylang Deodorant Cream Recipe!
10. Mattifies Lipstick
Apply a coat of lipstick then dab cornstarch on top till it disappears. Say hello to matte lipstick!
11. DIY Translucent Powder
Instead of using talcum powder, which contains talc that is linked to health problems like breathing difficulty, make your own DIY face powder! You can use it directly with a soft face brush or, make a more velvety one suited to your skin color as follows:
- DIY Translucent Powder: Into a dry mixing bowl, add ¼ cup cornstarch and ½ cup arrow root powder. Now add in unsweetened cocoa powder, tbsp by tbsp until you reach your desired skin color. Use between 1-3 tbsp. Mix all the ingredients with a whisk. Transfer to a dry air tight jar and apply with a powder brush.
12. Gentle Skin Exfoliator
Cornstarch has a slight abrasive texture so it works as a nice skin exfoliator! You can exfoliate your face using cornstarch and water as follows:
- Exfoliating Face Scrub: Add 1 tsp of cornstarch to a bowl, then add ½ tsp of sea salt. Next drizzle in 1 tsp of raw honey. Add 2 drops of tea tree essential oil. Mix well and scrub this paste onto your whole face, avoiding the eye area. Rinse off with cool water. Or, let it sit on your skin for 7 minutes then rinse off for best results. Pat dry and apply toner & moisturizer.
13. For Soft Silky Hair
Make your hair softer and silkier by sprinkling cornstarch all over it (while it’s dry) then brushing through. Run your hands through your hair – it will be so soft and silky! For brunettes, mix a little unsweetened cocoa powder into the cornstarch to make it match your hair color.
14. Natural Hair Detangler
Got a frustrating knot on your hair?! Don’t worry – you don’t have to chop off your hair! Just sprinkle a generous amount of cornstarch onto it. Wait for about 5-10 minutes then try detangling again. You’ll be over the moon when the knot comes out smoothly! This also works for knotted ropes, threads, etc!
15. Nail Polish Mattifier
Give your nail polish, whatever shade it is, an instant matte look with cornstarch! To do this, paint two coats of color on to your nails. Next onto a piece of wax paper, pour a little of your top coat. Now sprinkle a pinch of cornstarch then dip your nail polish brush and gently paint it on your nails.
16. Gives Hair Volume
If you hair is thin and fine, then add some volume to it using cornstarch! Dip a clean makeup brush into cornstarch and brush it on your scalp and hair line. Now brush your hair to distribute the cornstarch all over your hair. When you’re done, admire how volumized your hair looks!
17. For Faux Lashes
Apply a coat of your usual mascara then carefully sprinkle a pinch of cornstarch onto your lashes. The cornstarch will stick to your mascara. Add another coat of mascara on top of the cornstarch. Repeat the process for thicker lashes. Enjoy your faux lashes!
Where to Get Cornstarch
Make sure to get 100% pure and ORGANIC cornstarch. Most corn grown is GMO or genetically modified organisms or crops. You definitely do not want to be consuming that scary stuff or putting it on your face for that matter! That’s why I like and recommend Rapunzel’s 100% Pure USDA Organic Cornstarch. It comes in an 8 oz box. You can transfer it into a sealable airtight container afterwards for easy access.
Beauties, how are you going to enjoy these beauty benefits of cornstarch? Share your thoughts below!