Find out 13 amazing Beauty Benefits of French Green Clay in this post!
French green clay is an amazing powdery green substance that offers a lot for beauty! It is a type of clay that was once mined abundantly in a place in France called Montmorillon. Now the clay is extracted from other places in the world including China, North America and Europe.
Why is it green? That’s because it naturally contains high amounts of decomposed plant matter that has gone through the cycles of nature. French green clay also contains trace minerals such as calcium, aluminum, magnesium, silica, phosphorous, copper and zinc!
This green colored clay is popularly used for cosmetic purposes to draw impurities from the skin. It also has other amazing beauty benefits as we shall see below:
Top 13 Beauty Benefits of French Green Clay for Hair, Skin and More!
Note: When handling/mixing up French green clay, use non-metal spoons, bowl and other utensils. This is because metal reacts with the clay and renders it useless. The negatively charged ions present in the clay will get neutralized by the positive ions in the metal!
1. Removes Impurities from Pores
All natural clays, including French green clay have one main purpose which is to suck out all impurities stuck with skin pores. All the gunk including stale sebum, dead cells, dirt, pollution, bacteria, etc are drawn out from the pores by French green clay. You can make a purifying facial mask with it as follows:
- Purifying Facial Mask: In a small bowl, mix 2 tsp French green clay with enough water to form a smooth spreadable paste. Now add 1 drop of tea tree essential oil and mix again. Apply a thin layer of the paste on your clean face, avoiding the area around the eyes. Leave it on for 10 minutes then rinse off with cold water and moisturize.
2. Detoxifies Skin
French green clay is super detoxifying. It has negatively charged ions in it which attract and neutralize positive charged ions that are in toxins, heavy metals and impurities! The clay gets activated when mixed with water or any other liquid like hydrosols. Make a full body detoxifying mud bath as follows:
- Detoxifying Mud Bath: Draw a warm bath. While the water collects in the tub, mix up 1 cup of French green clay with enough water to form a smooth paste. Next add 5 drops of grapefruit essential oil and mix again. Add it to your warm bath together with 1 cup of Epsom salts. Stir well with your hand then soak for 20 minutes for a full body detoxification.
3. Natural Deodorant Ingredient
You can also use French green clay as a natural deodorant! I’ve talked about using bentonite clay as a deodorant ingredient before! French green clay can be used as well! It not only detoxifies your under arms but also neutralizes bad odor, absorbs sweat and soothes sensitive skin. Try my favorite deodorant recipe:
- DIY Clay Deodorant: In a pan, melt 4 ½ tbsp of shea butter over medium low heat. Once melted, remove from heat and stir in 5 tbsp arrow root powder, 1 tbsp and 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp French green clay and 20 drops of your favorite essential oil (I like lemon, ylang ylang, lemongrass and bergamot). Pour your deodorant into a deodorant tube or glass jar and leave it to set for 30 min in the refrigerator.
4. Clarifies Hair
Instead of using harsh clarifying shampoos that strip the hair of its natural oils along with product build up and other nasties, try using French green clay. It gently removes product build-up, dandruff, excess oiliness and dead cells from the scalp and hair without being harsh and drying.
- Clarifying Hair Mask: In a non-metal bowl, add ½ cup of French green clay. Now slowly keep pouring water while stirring with a non-metal spoon. Once you form a smooth paste, add 1 tsp apple cider vinegar and 7 drops of lavender essential oil. Mix together to form a clarifying hair mask. First wet your hair in the shower then work the hair mask on your hair roots until your entire scalp is coated. Next, apply on your hair strands. Wash off very well after 30-60 min.
5. Exfoliates Skin
Want to gently exfoliate your skin without being too rough? Try French green clay! It has a slightly rough texture that helps slough off dead cells, without making skin feel dry and irritated.
- Gentle Exfoliation: To exfoliate your skin without irritating it, get about 1 tsp of French green clay in your palm, add a little water to form a paste then lightly scrub the mixture onto your face. Rinse off with cold water.
6. Homemade Toothpaste
You can also use French green clay to make homemade toothpaste for clean bright teeth! Here’s a simple but effective recipe:
- Homemade Toothpaste: In a 1 oz glass jar, add 1 tbsp of coconut oil, 1 tsp French green clay, ½ tsp liquid stevia and 5 drops of peppermint essential oil. Mix everything up with a popsicle stick. Store in your bathroom cabinet. To use, dip a clean dry brush into the jar and scoop out a pea-sized amount of toothpaste. Brush your teeth as usual.
7. Calms Irritated Skin
One of the best beauty benefits of French green clay is that it is gentle on skin. It also soothes and calms irritated red skin. If you’re suffering from eczema, rashes, psoriasis, then you can make a paste out of French green clay to provide soothing relief.
8. Oil Control Action
Got oily skin? Try a French green clay mask to soak up all the excess oils within the pores and within the skin’s surface, leaving you with fresh, clean and soft skin!
- Pore Tightening Mask: In a small bowl, add 1 tsp of French green clay, ½ tsp of rose water and 1 drop of rosemary oil. Mix everything well to create a smooth paste. Apply it in a thin layer all over your face and leave it on until it dries up. Rinse off with cold water and apply toner. You can check out my Green Tea Toner!
9. Reduces Large Pores
Applying a French green clay mask on your face helps tighten skin which reduces large pores on your face. Try it out and diminish the appearance of your pores!
10. Natural Face Cleanser
Did you know that you can also use French green clay to wash your face?! That’s right! It is a natural cleanser that helps remove dirt, stale oils, dead cells and more from the face.
- Face Cleanser: Simply store a plastic jar of French green clay in your bathroom cabinet. Every time you want to wash your face, shake a little of it on your palm and mix it up into a paste with water. Now apply it in circular motions on your face then rinse off with cold water.
11. Deeply Nourishes Skin Cells
French green clay is a bio mineral. It is rich in trace minerals such as calcium, aluminum, magnesium, silica, phosphorous, copper and zinc. All these minerals nourish skin cells, hydrate them and keep skin healthy overall!
12. Tones & Firms Skin
Want an instant face lift? Try French green clay! It has a skin tightening effect that helps tone skin, reduce large pores and firm sagging skin. You can mix it with aloe vera juice and apply it on your skin as a firming face mask.
13. Clears Blemishes
You can actually use French green clay as a daily treatment to fade away blemishes on your skin. It can be used as a spot treatment, facial mask or face cleanser. Here’s a good blemish clearing recipe:
- Blemish Clearer: In a small bowl, add 1 tsp of French green clay. Now add ½ tsp of lemon juice followed by enough water to form a paste. Mix it up and apply on your blemishes for 5 minutes then rinse off and moisturize.
What are your favorite beauty benefits of French green clay?