If you’re wondering how to lighten burn scars naturally, you’re in the right place! Here are 5 effective natural remedies that help!
Most of us have suffered first or second degree burns at some point in our lives. You can get burned while using a curling iron or heating something on the stove. Burns can hurt a lot and if it gets infected, you can get a fever! But what hurts on a deeper emotional level is the ugly scars burns can leave behind! Especially when it’s on a part of skin that’s constantly visible like your face or hands.
Thankfully, there are some natural remedies you can use to lighten burn scars naturally! Let’s take a look at them below:
5 Natural Ways to Lighten Burn Scars
1. Put Honey on It!
Honey is useful for healing fresh burns. It’s been used since ancient times as a burn salve on its own. It is rich in enzymes, antioxidants and other nutrients that have a special healing ability as well as prevent infection. Honey also has a skin lightening effect! It’s good for fading away all sorts of scars, including acne scars. Get yourself a jar of local raw honey and apply it liberally on the burn scar every day for 10 minutes. Even better, buy Manuka honey as this type of honey has 4 times more healing powers than regular honey.
- How to Use it: Apply a suitable amount of raw honey on your scars. Keep it on for 10 minutes then rinse off with water. Pat your skin dry and moisturize as usual. Do this every day to see improvement.
2. Apply a Coat of Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is another miracle scar healer! It’s actually very good for fading away unsightly stretch marks but it also works for surgical scars and burn scars. What makes it good for scars is its rich vitamin E content and nourishing fatty acids. These work together in speeding scar healing while softening the skin and bringing it back to its original health. Cocoa butter is rock hard in its original form so you should melt it before use.
- How to Use it: in a double boiler, melt over medium low heat: ¼ cup of cocoa butter together with ¼ cup of sweet almond oil and 1 tbsp rosehip oil. Once melted, allow the mixture to cool down in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. When the time is up, get out your hand mixer and beat the mixture until you get a whipped cream texture. Store in a sterilized container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Massage a suitable amount on your scars 1-2 times daily.
3. Prick Vitamin E Capsules & Apply
Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps repair damaged skin and heal scars. It has a thick consistency so you can just prick a vitamin E capsule and apply a little of the oil onto your scar.
How to Use it: Using a sharp pin, prick your vitamin E capsule and squeeze out the oil onto your index finger. Apply it onto your burn scar and leave it to penetrate overnight.
4. Slather on Some Shea Butter
There’s a story of a girl who cleared all her scars on the face by religiously applying a dollop of shea butter on it! Shea butter not only makes your scars vanish but it also softens, smoothens and beautifies your skin. It contains oleic acid, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin K and vitamin F. These help nourish the skin on a deeper level while promoting speedy healing which helps burn scars fade off faster.
How to Use it: Scoop out a suitable amount of shea butter from the jar and massage it onto your scar. While massaging, you can rub your scar outwards using your thumb and forefinger to break up scar tissue.
5. Apply Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil works amazing for healing burns! What’s more is that it also works wonders in reducing scars. Since it’s an essential oil, it must be diluted before use. Use a ratio of 2 drops of essential oil in 1 tsp of carrier oil or base ingredient. You can use aloe vera gel, shea butter, cocoa butter or any vegetable oil as your base ingredient.
Below is a recipe for a burn scar cream that you can use to lighten burn scars! Check it out below:
Homemade Burn Scar Cream
What you need
- ¼ cup cocoa butter
- ¼ cup shea butter
- ¼ cup jojoba oil
- 1 vitamin E capsules
- 1/2 tsp raw honey
- 20 drops lavender essential oil Double boiler
- Hand mixer
- Sterilized glass jar
- In a double boiler, add ¼ cup of cocoa butter, ¼ cup of shea butter and ¼ cup of jojoba oil. Melt the ingredients over medium low heat on the stove.
- Once melted, stir in 1/2 tsp of raw honey then store the mixture in the refrigerator for 15 minutes until it turns opaque.
- When the time is up, get it out of the refrigerator and add 20 drops of lavender essential oil and oil from 1 vitamin E capsule.
- Now get a hand mixer and beat it till you get a fluffy white cream.
- Transfer the cream into a sterilized container and store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.
- Massage a suitable amount daily on your burn scar for 3 minutes one to two times a day.
We hope you now have an idea on how to lighten burn scars naturally! Do you have any remedies for lightening burn scars? Please share so we can all benefit!