This is a delicious and easy recipe for healthy homemade ketchup fresh tomatoes and no sugar!
We used to spend a lot on store-bought ketchup at our place, buying bottles and bottles which get done in just a month – it was crazy! So my mom decided she’d had enough and started making her own which has turned out really delicious and super healthy with not a tsp of sugar! We buy fresh tomatoes all the time which is cheaper than the canned tomato pastes so we’re using fresh tomatoes in this recipe! Tomatoes are so yum! I used to eat them like apples when I was a kid with a dash of salt.
You’ve got to try that when you’re craving a salty snack one day 😉 Okay, onto my mother’s healthy homemade ketchup recipe with fresh tomatoes and no sugar!
Recipe: Homemade Ketchup using Fresh Tomatoes & No Sugar
- Ready in: An hour and 10 minutes
You’ll see that instead of sugar, we’re using raisins. You should use brown raisins which will give your ketchup a deep red color, just like that of store-bought ketchup plus it won’t be overly sweet compared to if you use the golden raisins. But anywho, both will give you lip-smackin’ goodness!
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, diced
- 7 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 1 and ½ inch ginger, peeled and diced
- ½ a red chilli, diced after removing all seeds
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ tbsp salt
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Add all the ingredients above to a steel pot.
- Place the pot over medium-high heat and let the ingredients cook until they are soft and kind of mashed up for about 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally with a wooden stick.
- When mashed up, turn off the stove and let the ingredients cool down completely.
- Now put all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend till you get a smooth puree.
- Rinse the pot then filter the puree with a strainer into the pot.
- Cook the puree over medium heat.
- When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and simmer for about 45 minutes as the puree thickens up and slowly turns into a consistency that’s just like the ketchup you buy!
- When it gets to your preferred consistency, turn off the heat and voila! Your very own homemade ketchup with fresh tomatoes and no sugar is ready!
- It tastes really really good especially with the flavorful garlic and subtle chilli taste!
- Enjoy like we did with some homemade sweet potato chips as you can see in the picture above! Mmhhmm!
► This homemade ketchup fits into a regular Nutella jar which is about 375 g.
► Store it in the refrigerator where it’s going to last long about a month though it usually gets done in a week at our place!
Would you try making this healthy homemade ketchup? Share your thoughts below!