The Easiest DIY Organic Body Butter You’ll Come Across!
This is the easiest DIY organic body butter recipe you’ll ever come across – it contains only 4 ingredients, it’s cheap and the best part is that it is very versatile! You can substitute the jojoba oil for any other of your favorite skin care oils. For dry skin, you could use olive oil while for oily skin, try grapeseed because it has a light consistency that won’t grease up your skin. If you have normal skin, then go ahead and use jojoba oil as suggested in the recipe below. Also note that the essential oil is totally optional and in place of lavender essential oil, you can use another other essential oil of your choice!
One of my most favorite ever natural beauty quotes is:
“Invest in your skin, you wear it every day.”
Hearing this quote always makes me want to care for and pamper my skin in the best possible way – and that is by applying natural, non-toxic and preferably organic products on it. Organic means the plants your ingredients are derived from are grown all-natural without using those harmful pesticides, synthetic fertilizers and GMO (genetically modified organisms).
Many skin care products out there in the world today are created in the laboratory from synthetic chemicals (isn’t that gross?!). And most of the ingredients used as preservatives such as parabens (methyl, propyl, butyl etc) are downright dangerous for your health.
Anything you put on your skin is absorbed into the body to some extent. And when these chemicals enter your body, they gradually build up causing a host of problems in the future. Also, if you have skin problems such as dry skin or acne, then turn to Nature’s goodness. These natural and organic ingredients truly nourish and repair skin instead of the chemical store-bought versions that are more like quick fixes giving temporary relief.
For this DIY organic body butter, you’ll need unrefined shea butter, extra virgin coconut oil, jojoba oil and 100% pure lavender essential oil. Let’s explore what benefits each of the ingredients have for skin!
→ Shea Butter – A plant butter extracted from the Shea tree found in Northern and Eastern Africa, shea butter was used since ancient times to moisturize skin. It’s perfect for sealing moisture into skin while giving it a beautiful glow. It’s also known to diminish stretch marks, soften rough skin as well as form a protective barrier that shields the skin from harsh winds, biting colds and strong sun.
→ Coconut Oil – Highly penetrative, coconut oil sinks right into the skin when applied without clogging the pores! It also protects the skin from dryness and chaffing as well as deeply moisturizes it. Just like shea butter, coconut oil is known to protect the skin against sunburn by blocking about 20% of harmful UV rays. This delicious tasting oil also has antimicrobial properties that fend off skin irritating germs!
→ Jojoba Oil – An amazing skin care oil, jojoba oil has anti-inflammatory properties that make it good for soothing rashes, redness and inflammation on the skin. It also locks moisture into the skin and keeps it smooth, soft and supple.
→ Lavender Essential Oil – Extracted from fresh and fragrant lavender flowers, lavender essential oil is amazing for skin. It’s good for calming irritated skin due to its anti-inflammatory properties while it’s anti-aging properties fight off free radicals that are known to cause premature fine lines and wrinkles.
- ½ cup of unrefined shea butter (where to get it)
- ¼ cup of organic extra virgin coconut oil (where to get it)
- ¼ cup of jojoba oil (where to get it)
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil (where to get it)
- In a double boiler, melt the shea butter, coconut oil and jojoba oil.
- Once melted, remove from heat and place it in the freezer for 10 minutes so that it can cool off and partially turn solid. It should be in a semi-solid creamy form that you can mix with a spoon. This enables easy whipping into a soft body butter!
- When the time is up, get out your mixture and add the lavender essential oil.
- Now using a hand mixer, start whipping the ingredients with a hand mixer for just 3-5 minutes.
- Voila! Scoop your ready-made DIY organic body butter into a clean container!
- This DIY organic body butter lasts a very long while – 6 months plus without going bad! Just make sure to keep it away from water and other contaminants and use clean fingers to scoop it from the container.
- If you don’t have a hand mixer, don’t worry – you can still make this body butter! All you have to do is to replace the hand mixer with a whisk or strong spoon and blend the ingredients vigorously for 7-10 minutes until you form a white mixture. It takes time but gives similar results!