The neem tree (scientific name: Azadirachta indica) is called ‘The Village Pharmacy’ because of its powerful healing powers that treat a variety of illnesses. It’s particularly known to help treat all sorts of skin conditions, including psoriasis. Neem oil is a vegetable oil obtained from the fruits and seeds of the neem tree.
It is made of over 140 active compounds that have medicinal properties. Neem oil is an anti-inflammatory agent and it has antiseptic, antifungal, antipyretic and antihistamine properties.
Many people with psoriasis have seen tremendous improvement after using neem oil to manage their psoriasis! Since it is a very pungent oil whose scent can be off-putting, neem oil can be incorporated into creams, balms and lotions to mask its scent. You can make your own balms and creams using neem oil for psoriasis, such as the neem balm below:
We’re going to look at a simple recipe for an effective DIY neem balm for psoriasis. It also contains other healing natural ingredients such as nourishing oils and powerful essential oils.
DIY Neem Balm for Psoriasis
What You Need
- 1 oz shea butter (where to get it)
- ½ oz almond oil (where to get it)
- ½ tsp beeswax pastilles (where to get it)
- 1 ½ tsp neem oil (where to get it)
- 2 capsules vitamin E oil (where to get it)
- 5 drops lavender oil (where to get it)
- 5 drops tea tree oil (where to get it)
- Double boiler (where to get it)
- Salve tin (where to get it) or 2 oz mason jar (where to get it)
- Gently melt the shea butter, beeswax pastilles and almond oil in a double boiler over low heat.
- Once melted, let it cool down slightly then snip off the edge of two vitamin E capsules and squeeze the oil into the rest of the mixture. Next add the neem oil, lavender oil, tea tree oil and stir well.
- Pour the combination into salve tins or glass jars.
- Let it set before use. You can keep it in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- To use, scoop up a little and apply on affected areas gently.
Using powerful natural ingredients like neem oil can drastically improve the appearance of your skin! Try this DIY neem balm for psoriasis and come share your results!