How Chia Seeds Promote Anti-Aging from the Outside-In
Now we all know how chia seeds are immensely beneficial for us when we consume them: from sweeping out harmful toxins in the colon thereby preventing acne to preventing premature wrinkles and graying of hair, there are so many beauty & anti-aging benefits these powerful super seeds have to offer, but how about when you apply them directly onto your skin and hair? Below are just 3 ways chia seeds promote anti-aging from the outside-in!
- Tightens & Firms Skin. When you apply the chia seed face mask, you’ll immediately notice your skin getting tighter. This helps not only firms & tones your skin but also minimize large pores and reduces oiliness.
- Lifts Saggy & Droopy Skin. The tightening and toning effect of the chia seed gel lifts saggy skin and makes it appear toned and youthful. Bonus: Be sure to rub the face mask in a gentle upward direction on your cheeks as an anti-aging massage.
- Smooths out Fine Lines & Wrinkles. Erase fine lines and wrinkles with chia seeds! The omega 3 fatty acids nourish mature and dry skin types that are prone to wrinkles thereby keeping skin wrinkle-free.
Other Benefits of Chia Seeds for Skin , Hair & More
I’ve talked about the beauty benefits of chia seeds for skin, hair & more before – read them here. You’ll be amazed to know how great they are for your overall natural beauty!
A Note on How to Apply Chia Seeds on Your Skin
There are some recipes I’ve seen that say mix the chia seeds in water, wait for it to gel then apply on to your face. Say what! This is very wasteful as the seeds won’t be of any help since the nutrients won’t reach your skin due to their thick fibrous outer membranes. It’s also very messy – I can’t imagine how comfortable it is to have the chia seeds sliding down your nose while you apply the face mask.
For this reason, always grind the chia seeds in a coffee/spice grinder till you get ‘chia seed meal’ or powder. This makes it much easier to apply and the rich nutrients including omega 3 fatty acids can easily reach and nourish your skin.
Chia Seed Face Mask as an Egg Face Mask Substitute for Vegans
Just like flax seeds can be used as an egg face mask for vegans, chia seeds can also be used in the same way. This is because when mixed with water, these two seeds form a gelatinous substance which has a thick and slippery egg-like feel and consistency. A chia seed face mask works just like an egg face mask as well with both of them having excellent skin tightening & toning properties.
- 2 tsp chia seeds (where to buy)
- 4-6 tsp water
- 2 drops lavender essential oil *optional (where to buy)
1. Place 2 tsp of chia seeds in a coffee grinder/spice grinder.
2. Blend for about 5-7 seconds till you get a powder. Note: It doesn’t have to be perfectly fine and smooth.
3. Add this chia seed powder to a medium-sized bowl and add enough water.
4. Keep stirring until the chia seed powder thickens up and becomes a gel.
5. Add 2 drops of lavender essential oil.
6. Voila! Your very own powerful anti-aging chia seed face mask is ready!
How to Apply the Mask
- Tie your hair away from your face into a pony tail and wear a head band to keep away fly-aways and baby hairs out of your forehead.
- Wash your face as usual and pat dry with a fluffy towel.
- Using clean fingertips, scoop the chia seed gel and start applying it on your face starting from your forehead down to your chin.
- That’s it! Rinse your hands and let the chia work its magic for about 10 minutes.
- When the time is up, rinse off thoroughly using warm water and a washcloth to remove the mask completely.
- Pat dry with a towel and apply a pea-sized amount of coconut oil to moisturize.
- Admire your soft, smooth and supple skin! 😉
– Customize your chia seed face mask! If you have dry skin, you might find that this chia seed face mask will make your skin somewhat dry so feel free to add ½ tsp of coconut oil to counteract the drying effect. For acne-prone skin, add 2 drops of tea tree essential oil and if you have dark marks/acne scars, add 1 tsp of liquid raw honey as it has natural skin lightening properties.
– Just a piece of advice – do not smile, raise your eyebrows or make funny faces while you have this mask or any other face mask on! You do not want to create fine lines around your eyes and mouth which will become more visible with time.