Learn how to use coconut oil for keratosis pilaris as a natural remedy!
Keratosis pilaris is also known as chicken skin. It is characterized by pink/white bumps on the skin especially the outer upper arms & thighs. The exact cause of keratosis pilaris is not clear but anyone from babies to adults can suffer from it. In this article, we shall see the benefits of coconut oil for keratosis pilaris and how to use it as a natural remedy!
Coconut Oil for Keratosis Pilaris
Coconut oil is a white creamy oil extracted from the white flesh of the coconut fruit. It is rich in easily penetrative Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFAs) that include lauric, capric, caprylic, mystiric, stearic and other acids that nourish and moisturize skin cells. Lauric acid gives coconut oil antibacterial properties that help reduce keratosis pilaris.
The soothing and anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil also help reduce inflamed and red keratosis pilaris.
Here’s how to use coconut oil for keratosis pilaris:
How to Use Coconut Oil for Keratosis Pilaris
There are two effective ways you can use coconut oil for keratosis pilaris – one is an exfoliating sugar scrub while the other is a DIY skin healing serum. Let’s look at the two recipes below:
Recipe One: Exfoliating Lavender Sugar Scrub
What you need:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup liquid coconut oil
- 7 drops of lavender essential oil
- Large bowl & spoon
- Air tight storage container
- In a large bowl, dump ½ cup of granulated or fine white sugar followed by ¼ cup of liquid coconut oil.
- Mix them up together using a spoon to form a nice sugar scrub with a slightly gritty texture.
- Now add 7 drops of lavender essential oil and mix again.
- Transfer the sugar scrub into an air tight container and store it in the bathroom cabinet.
- To use, place 1 tbsp in a bowl and take it to the shower with you. Scrub onto wet skin. Use every other day.
Recipe Two: DIY Keratosis Pilaris Serum
What you need:
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil
- 7 drops frankincense essential oil
- 7 drops geranium essential oil
- 7 drops lemon essential oil
- 5 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 2 oz argan oil
- Small funnel
- 2 oz amber glass dropper bottle
- Using a small funnel, transfer 2 oz of argan oil into an amber glass dropper bottle.
- Next add all the essential oil drops one by one.
- Cap the bottle tightly and roll between your palms to evenly distribute the essential oils into the argan oil.
- Apply 2-3 drops on your keratosis pilaris after your daily shower.
How are you planning on using coconut oil for keratosis pilaris?