Making your own body wash is incredibly easy and with the right recipe and pure ingredients, you can create a wonderful product that’s very much better than store-bought versions.
The recipe I’m going to share with you below will make you crave showers and bath times just so you can lather up with your beautiful scented body wash so be prepared to spend long hours in your bathroom!
Liquid Castile Soap – A Non-Toxic Green Cleaning Solution
Before we move on to the recipe, let’s learn about a little about castile soap:
Castile soap is plant-based, meaning it contains no animal fat but vegetable oils instead. It’s primarily made of olive oil though coconut oil and other oils are used as well. The fact that castile soap contains no animal derivatives makes it a popular soap choice for vegans and vegetarians! This miracle soap is also completely biodegradable and doesn’t contains any chemicals so it’s extremely skin-friendly and can be used on babies’ skin and sensitive skin as well! Though it’s gentle on skin, it’s tough on dirty surfaces and greasy dishes so once you get a hold of a bottle, you’ll use it for multiple purposes!
DIY Homemade Body Wash Recipe with Liquid Castile Soap
Just a small note before we go further: This homemade body wash recipe is very versatile so you can change it to suit your preferences! I did add what you can use to create a beautiful body wash in brackets after each product to give you a clue on what ingredients you can try out.
- ½ cup of liquid castile soap
- ½ cup of distilled water or floral hydrosol (such as rose water or lavender water)
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel
- 1 tbsp liquid oil of choice (like olive oil or jojoba oil)
- 25 drops of essential oil of choice (good choices are lemon essential oil for a citrus burst, peppermint essential oil for freshness, cedarwood essential oil for a masculine scent and geranium essential oil for a feminine scent)
- Start by placing your aloe vera gel in a large bowl. Now slowly keep adding the floral hydrosol or distilled water into the aloe vera gel while stirring with a whisk.
Once it’s all combined, pour in your liquid oil of choice and essential oils as well then vigorously mix it with the whisk.
- Slowly pour in the liquid castile soap and whisk again or use an immersion blender so everything gets well incorporated. Your final mixture should be a frothy and foamy semi-thick mixture.
- Using a funnel, transfer your newly made all natural body wash into a flip top bottle. When you want to use it, just pour a little on to your bath sponge or loofah and lather up!
- This homemade body wash with liquid castile soap can last over 3 months in your bathroom cabinet. Storing it in the refrigerator makes it last a very very long while so you can go ahead and make a bigger batch and keep it in the fridge.
- Remember to shake well before each use because it tends to separate since it doesn’t contain a chemical emulsifying ingredient like conventional body washes.
→ Have Fun Creating Different Scent Blends – Instead of using individual essential oils, you can make amazing blends that smell great such as Cedarwood, Patchouli, Vetiver – my current bath blend uses these three in castor oil and goodness does it smell so fantastic! It has a woodsy and earthy scent that is gorgeous and makes a perfect combination for a refreshing at the same time grounding bath experience. Other essential oils that work beautifully together are:
- Geranium, Lavender & Tea Tree
- Lemongrass & Frankincense
- Rosemary & Ylang Ylang
→ Substitute for Aloe Vera Gel. Instead of aloe vera gel, you can use vegetable glycerine. The purpose of the aloe vera gel and vegetable glycerine is that they both help the body wash lather better plus make it silkier.
♥ Please try out this recipe and come share your results! ♥