Are you interested in the beauty benefits of nutmeg for your skin and hair?! Check them out below!
Nutmeg is an exotic spice we add to our coffee and hot chocolate. But did you know how amazing it is for beauty purposes! Nutmeg powder can be used internally and externally for your skin and hair to solve a myriad of beauty ailments!
Without further ado, let’s check out 12 beauty benefits of nutmeg!
Top 12 Beauty Benefits of Nutmeg
Caution: As usual, do a patch test with nutmeg before applying it on your body. I want to advise you not to use a lot of nutmeg powder in your beauty treatments (face masks, hair masks, etc). That’s because nutmeg is a ‘hot’ spice like cloves, cinnamon and pepper. It can cause unpleasant burning sensations on your skin! So take care, beauties!
1. Skin Lightening
Nutmeg is popular in the natural beauty world for its skin lightening properties. The best way to use nutmeg for skin lightening is by making a facial mask with it!
- Skin Lightening Facial Mask: Combine ¼ tsp nutmeg powder, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp thick yogurt in a bowl. Apply a thick layer of this mask onto your clean face, avoiding the eyes and mouth. Rinse off after 7 minutes with cold water then apply moisturizer. Try this three times a week!
2. Reduces Pigmentation
One of the amazing beauty benefits of nutmeg is its ability to even out discolorations and pigmentation on your face! Make the facial mask above and apply it on your skin for 7 min before washing it off. Try this three times a week to remove pigmentation!
3. Fades Blemishes & Dark Spots
Blemishes and dark spots mar a flawless appearance. There are several remedies to reduce these skin imperfections including lemon, orange peel powder and…NUTMEG! Mix a pinch of it with raw honey and apply it on your skin. Or better yet, make a spot treatment with it!
- Nutmeg Spot Treatment: To a small dish, add a pinch of nutmeg powder and a pinch of cinnamon powder. Now add just a few drops of lemon juice from a fresh lemon wedge. Form a mixture out of these ingredients by mixing in ½ tsp of raw honey. Apply to your blemishes and dark spots and leave it on for about 20-25 minutes then wash your face as usual.
4. Fights Acne & Pimples
Nutmeg has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it excellent in clearing up acne breakouts! Use a tiny amount on your acne prone skin because a lot of nutmeg can make it red and unsightly! Here’s a gentle but effective anti-acne mask with nutmeg:
- Anti-Acne Facial Mask: Mix together a pinch of nutmeg powder, 1 tsp whole milk and 1 tsp honey. Apply gently on your clean face, avoiding the eyes and mouth. Leave it on for 7 min then rinse off with cold water. Try this three times a week!
5. Gently Exfoliates Skin
Nutmeg powder has a slight abrasive texture that makes it good for gentle skin exfoliation. Mix it up with other exfoliating and cleansing kitchen ingredients to create an exfoliating scrub.
- Exfoliating & Cleansing Scrub: In a jar, combine 4 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp baking soda, 1 tsp nutmeg and ½ tsp lemon juice. This will create a thick mixture that you should store in your fridge for up to 2 weeks. Scoop out a tsp of this mixture and gently scrub it on your face, avoiding the eyes. Rinse off with cold water and apply moisturizer! You can leave the scrub on for 5 minutes before washing it off for extra flawless skin!
6. Fades Away Acne Scars
Got acne scars? Use nutmeg to fade them away! You can make the nutmeg spot treatment in Point 3! It works for blemishes, dark spots and acne scars!
7. Stimulates Hair Growth
When applied on the scalp, nutmeg creates a warm tingling feeling which is said to stimulate the hair follicles by increasing blood circulation to the scalp! And increased blood circulation means increased nutrient flow to the hair follicles! This will promote luscious hair growth!
- Nutmeg Hair Growth Mask: In a bowl, add ½ tsp to 1 tsp nutmeg powder, 1 tbsp yogurt and 1 tbsp honey. Mix them all up to form a mixture. Massage this onto your head in the shower then wrap your hair up and throw on a shower cap. Leave it on for about 7 minutes then wash off very well with your favorite shampoo. You can try this once a week!
8. Makes Hair Shiny
Nutmeg actually improves your hair by making it shiny! You can add ½ to 1 tsp of nutmeg powder to your 8 oz shampoo or conditioner bottle and give it a good shake! You can also add 4 drops of nutmeg oil instead. But this oil is very potent and can cause burns if used incorrectly so I suggest using nutmeg powder instead.
9. Reduces Oily Skin
Have a shiny greasy face at the end of the day? Try shrinking your large pores to decrease sebum on your skin by using nutmeg powder!
- Toner for Oily Skin: In a bowl, mix up a pinch of nutmeg and a suitable amount of witch hazel (like 1 tsp). Massage this mixture all over your face, avoiding the eye and mouth area. Leave it on for 2 min. Rinse off with cold water and apply moisturizer.
10. Promotes Youthful Skin
Nutmeg has anti-aging properties too! It is a powerful antioxidant that fights off free radicals. Free radicals are responsible for causing premature wrinkles and fine lines! Use an anti-aging nutmeg mask to firm your skin and fade away tiny wrinkles:
- Anti-Aging Nutmeg Mask: In a bowl, combine 1 tsp honey, ¼ to ½ tsp nutmeg powder, 1 tsp thick yogurt to form a paste. Apply this on your face, avoiding the area around your eyes and mouth. Wait for 10 min then gently wash it off with your eyes closed. Behold lush looking skin!
11. Tones Skin for a Nicer Complexion
Use nutmeg to tone your face and improve your complexion! A popular toning and cleansing milk you can use on your face instead of your usual cleanser is as follows:
- Toning Cleanser: In a bowl, add 1 tbsp coconut milk and a pinch or two of nutmeg. Stir very well to combine. Use a cotton ball to apply this cleanser gently on your clean makeup-free face. Adore your beautiful complexion and brightened skin!
12. Add to your Dry Shampoo
You can add nutmeg powder to your dry shampoo! It will make your hair smell amazing, take away any scalp itch, and give your hair a bit of volume!
- Nutmeg Dry Shampoo: Combine 1-2 tbsp nutmeg powder, 1 tbsp arrow root powder and 1 tbsp cocoa powder in a cheese shaker. Shake onto your scalp then distribute with a hairbrush.
What are your favorite beauty benefits of nutmeg and how do you use it in your natural beauty routine? Share below!