Hey beauties! You may all already know that shea butter is an amazing multipurpose beauty product! From fading stretch marks to abating eczema, it’s one of the best must-have natural ingredients for your beauty pantry! In this post, I’ve shared three of the easiest facial scrubs you can make with shea butter. Wanna know why shea butter is great for skin? Read on!
Why is Shea Butter Good for Skin?
Shea butter, extracted from the seeds of the fruit of the native African karite tree, contains anti bacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties that will soothe & protect the skin against a myriad of skin problems including inflammatory skin conditions, acne, dry skin, itchy skin & so much more. It is rich in Vitamin E, which is contains strong skin healing properties: Vitamin A, which helps keep skin hydrated and youthful and Vitamin F, also known as fatty acids, that helps seal in moisture, calm inflammation, fight off bacteria and nourish skin.
3 Shea Butter Face Scrub Recipes
Pamper your skin with these luxurious 2 minute shea butter face scrubs that are so easy to make! Note: You can make bigger batches of all these 3 shea butter face scrubs and store them in tiny jars in a clean dry place. All of them – except the last face scrub containing avocado, will stay good for up to a week or more!
1. Pore Cleansing Coffee Shea Butter Face Scrub
Mmm…this shea butter facial uses coffee which is perfect for anyone who loves the aroma of freshly brewed morning coffee. I’ve also added vanilla extract which smells amazing when mixed with shea butter. Let’s read how amazing these ingredients are for your skin:
- Coffee– Ground coffee acts as a gentle exfoliant in this face scrub and its purpose is to slough off dead cells, revealing soft and smooth skin underneath. But there’s much more to coffee for beauty other than just acting as an exfoliant! Since it is rich in antioxidants, coffee will help promote youthful and radiant skin. Its main ingredient, caffeine will help reduce puffiness and firm your skin by drawing out excess moisture.
- Vanilla extract – Who knew this delicious flavouring agent offered great benefits for skin! Yes it’s true – vanilla is rich in vitamins, minerals and powerful anti oxidants that will nourish skin, reduce inflammation, promote wound healing and improve skin tone!
Mash 2 tsps of raw shea butter in a small bowl. Add 1 tsp of ground coffee and 2 drops of vanilla extract. Mix well with your spoon/fingers. Using clean fingers, massage the scrub onto your face starting with the cheeks first, then nose, forehead, chin and finally the neck. Be sure to avoid the delicate areas around your eyes and mouth! I usually scrub for at least 30 seconds. When the time is up, rinse off with lukewarm water, then cold water. Pat dry with a soft towel.
2. Skin Brightening Shea Butter Brown Sugar Face Scrub
One thing’s for sure with this two ingredient shea butter face scrub – it’ll leave your skin with a radiant glow! You must have noticed it too – applying raw shea butter to skin immediately brightens it up! Now when mixed with brown sugar, it has even more benefits as you can see below!
Brown sugar – Since it has a mild coarse texture; brown sugar is a perfect facial scrub ingredient which will help drive out germs, stale sebum, pollution and dirt from deep within the pores. Brown sugar also contains skin protective anti oxidants and glycolic acid which will keep the skin toned and firm.
In a small bowl, mash up the raw shea butter and add 1 ½ tsp of brown sugar. Mix the two really well until you get a well combined face scrub. Gently rub this mixture onto your face to exfoliate. Scrub for at least 30 seconds then rinse off with lukewarm water. Pat your face dry.
3. Ultra Moisturizing Shea Butter Face Scrub with Avocado
Any DIY beauty recipe containing avocado will give your skin a deep moisturizing and lubricating treatment. If you have thirsty flaky and even inflamed skin, then this shea butter face scrub with avocado might be all your skin ever needs throughout the day. Why, you ask? Just take a look at its wonderful benefits below!
- Avocado – Just like shea butter, avocado is filled with healthy fatty acids such as oleic & linoleic acid that are known to hydrate, lubricate and moisturize skin. It is also rich in vitamin E, a powerful anti oxidant that will soothe inflammation & protect the skin from premature aging.
- Baking soda – The slight abrasive texture of baking soda makes it a gentle but effective face scrub ingredient. Baking soda is known to cleanse skin from deep within, making it less prone to acne & black heads.
- Cornstarch – Cornstarch is optional in this facial scrub because its purpose is just to cut down the oiliness of the avocado + shea butter combo which may grease up your face. Leave it out all together if you have dry flaky skin that craves some moisture-rich lubricating goodness.
Add 1 tsp of raw shea butter, 1 tsp of mashed avocado and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Adding the 1 tsp of arrow root powder is totally optional. Mash all the ingredients together to form a well mixed paste. Scrub this mixture onto your face using clean fingertips for about 1 minute. Finally, rinse off thoroughly with lukewarm water and splash your face with cold water with the final rinse. Pat your face dry with a fluffy towel. Forego the moisturizer as this scrub is ultra moisturizing and will leave your face supple and soft all day long!
My Favorite Tried & Tested Shea Butter Recipes Ebook
Do you love shea butter and want to make your own beauty products with it?! Check out this ebook “My Favorite Tried & Tested Shea Butter Recipes for Luscious Skin & Hair” for 30 awesome recipes, complete with step-by-step instructions, beautiful pictures and other valuable shea butter info!