Is your favorite fruit strawberry?! Then you’ll be pleased to find out these 16 amazing beauty benefits of strawberries for skin, hair & more!
16 Beauty Benefits of Strawberries for Skin, Hair & More
1. Glowing Skin
Get glowing skin using strawberries as a face mask! This heart shaped fruit is rich in Vitamin C and Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) that deep cleanse skin and brighten it!
- Strawberry & Honey Face Mask: Mash 2 ripe strawberries into a small bowl. Now add ½ tsp honey and 1 tsp baking soda to form a well combined mixture. Apply it all over your face and neck, avoiding the eyes. Rinse off very well after 10 minutes.
2. Treats Acne
Strawberries are good for treating acne because they’re rich in salicylic acid that reduces oily skin. They also have anti-inflammatory properties that soothe inflammation on skin.
3. Reduces Oily Skin
As mentioned above, the salicylic acid content in strawberries helps reduce oily skin by regulating sebum and tightening large pores.
4. Whitens Teeth
Yup! You can also whiten your teeth naturally with strawberries! What you’re going to do is mash up one ripe strawberry in a small bowl then add ½ tsp baking soda. Mix these ingredients well then brush it on your clean teeth. Let it sit for 30 seconds then rinse your mouth well. Alternatively, rub a strawberry back and forth on your front teeth for a minute then rinse your mouth.
5. Plumps Up Lips
Plump up and exfoliate your lips using strawberries and brown sugar. The slightly gritty texture of the brown sugar removes flaky skin while the fruit acids livens up your lips!
- Strawberry Lip Scrub: Make an easy lip scrub by muddling up one ripe strawberry in a small bowl. Next add 1 tsp brown sugar. Scrub this on your lips for a minute. Now let it sit for 3 minutes then rinse off. Finally, use your toothbrush to gently brush your lips. Pat dry then apply lip balm/lip gloss!
6. Gently Exfoliates Skin
You can also use strawberries to exfoliate your skin! It has alpha hydroxy acids that dissolve dead cells on skin! When mashed, it also has a slightly abrasive texture that helps remove flaky skin. Make this exfoliating body scrub with strawberries:
- Decadent Body Scrub: Mash up ½ cup of ripe strawberries in a mason jar. Now add 2 tbsp jojoba oil. Next add ½ cup of granulated sugar and 2 tbsp raw cocoa powder . Mix everything very well and store in the refrigerator for a week. Use 2 tbsp of this scrub all over your body every day for a week in a month.
7. Promotes Youthful Skin
Strawberries are mega rich in Vitamin C that is known to promote youthfulness. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that wards off free radicals that cause premature aging. It also boosts collagen production in the skin. Strawberries also contain ellagic acid which is an antioxidant that prevents collagen destruction!
- Try regular strawberry face masks to help decrease wrinkles and promote supple skin!
8. Reduces Under-Eye Puffiness
Got under-eye puffiness! Strawberries can help! They have astringent properties that reduce puffiness. So how do you use them? Well, you know how you use cucumber slices over your eyes? Just like that, select a large strawberry and cut two thick slices of it. Lie down and place the slices over your closed eyes. Leave them on for 20 minutes. You can also cut half circles and place them under your eyes to help with under-eye bags.
9. Repairs Skin Cells
Strawberries are good for repairing skin cells because of their rich vitamin content.
10. Remove Discolorations & Blemishes
Acne scars, dark spots, age spots and other discolorations can be lightened using hydrogen peroxide. Use a Q-tip to apply it on these areas then rinse off after 10 minutes to help fade off your blemishes.
11. Scalp Exfoliator
Since strawberries act as a good exfoliator for skin, you can use it on your scalp too! Blend it to a puree in your blender then apply it all over your scalp. Leave it to sink in for about 30 minutes then rinse off with water and wash your hair with shampoo.
12. Makes Hair Shiny and Silky
Make strawberry juice and use it as a hair rinse for shiny and silky hair! It really works! Dump a cup of strawberries into a blender and add about ¼ cup of water. Blend till pureed then strain it to extract the juice. Use the juice as a hair rinse in the shower then do a last hair rinse with cold water.
13. Dandruff Control
You can get your dandruff under control by using a strawberry and lemon juice scalp treatment. The fruit acids in these ingredients help exfoliate skin, control excess oils produced on the scalp and fight off extra flakiness.
- Dandruff Treatment: In a small blender, add 5 ripe strawberries, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp unsweetened Greek yogurt. Blend till you get a thick puree. Now apply this all over your scalp as a treatment. Tie your hair up and cover with a shower cap. After an hour, rinse off very well then shampoo as usual. You can make your own anti-dandruff shampoo! Go here: Homemade Tea Tree Shampoo
14. Foot Scrub
Using strawberries as a foot scrub is a luxurious treatment for flaky feet and cracked heels! Here’s a foot scrub you can make at home:
- Foot Scrub: In a bowl, muddle up ½ cup of ripe strawberries now pour in 1 cup of granulated sugar and ¼ cup of creamy coconut oil or liquid oil of your choice. Mix everything up until you get a gritty texture. Transfer into a clean air tight jar and store in the refrigerator. Use at least thrice a week in the shower.
15. Facial Cleanser
Yes! You can use strawberries as a natural facial cleanser! It has exfoliating properties that remove grime, dirt, excess sebum and dead cells from skin. It also brightens skin and reduces excess oiliness! Just mash up a few strawberries to a pulp then rub it all over your face for a minute. Rinse off with tepid water and your face will be clean and fresh!
16. UV Protection
The antioxidant ellagic acid in strawberries protects skin from harmful UV rays! Eating strawberries as well as using them topically deflects harmful UV rays from damaging skin. Add strawberries to your fruit salads, make pink smoothies and simply snack on a handful to benefit from their natural sun protection properties from the inside-out!
What are your favorite beauty benefits of strawberries?