A homemade oatmeal lotion can be extremely soothing for sensitive skin types!
For long, oatmeal has been used as a skin soothing ingredient. Whole oatmeal is normally thrown in warm baths to release its natural saponins which bring relief to itchy, inflamed and irritated skin. Oatmeal paste can also be applied on aggravated skin to calm it down.
Another way of using oatmeal as a skin soother is by making a homemade lotion with it! A lotion can be applied to damp skin after a shower to seal moisture, nourish skin and offer relief. In this post, I’ll show you how to make a homemade oatmeal lotion in a few easy steps!
Homemade Oatmeal Lotion
What you need:
- 2 tbsp colloidal oatmeal
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup aloe vera gel
- 1 tsp vegetable glycerin
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of beeswax pastilles
- ¼ cup of almond oil
- ½ cup grapeseed oil
- ½ tsp lavender essential oil
- Stick blender
- 2 Pyrex measuring cups
- 4 oz amber glass jars for storage
- In a Pyrex measuring cup, pour 1 cup of boiling water then stir in 2 tbsp of colloidal oatmeal. Steep the oatmeal for 7 minutes then strain the oatmeal water into another container using a coffee filter.
- In another Pyrex measuring cup, add ½ cup aloe vera gel, 1 tsp of vegetable glycerin and the colloidal oatmeal water collected. Stir well to combine.
- Next gently melt down to liquid form: 1/3 cup of coconut oil, 1 tbsp of beeswax pastilles, ¼ cup of almond oil and ½ cup grapeseed oil in a double boiler over medium low heat.
- Now run a stick blender or wire whisk in the Pyrex cup containing the aloe vera, glycerin and oatmeal mixture. While the blender is still running, slowly pour in the melted oil mixture.
- The mixture will slowly turn white and creamy as it continues blending away.
- When it reaches a smooth creamy consistency, stop blending and add the essential oils. Stir well with a non-food use spoon.
- Pour the mayonnaise-like cream into your amber glass jars where it will thicken up quickly.
- Store in the refrigerator. Use within 7-10 days.
This homemade oatmeal lotion is very soothing, moisturizing and nourishing! Smooth it over eczema, rashes, bug bites and irritated skin to calm it down!