Use a homemade dog oatmeal shampoo to help cleanse and soothe your doggie naturally!
When your dog is itchy everywhere, you can feel really bad. If you’ve ruled out the possibility of fleas, check for other reasons why your dog could be extra itchy. It could be the conventional shampoo you’re using! Believe it or not, store-bought dog shampoos can strip off all the natural oils on your dog’s fur, leaving it feeling dry tight and itchy.
Okay so in this post, I present to you this extremely simple homemade dog oatmeal shampoo. It is so easy that it doesn’t even need a tutorial guys!
What makes oatmeal so good is it’s soothing properties. It’s popularly used as a home remedy for many skin ailments including skin rashes, bug bites, eczema, hives and also itchy skin.
Oatmeal is also a great natural cleanser because it is full of saponins that are natural cleansing agents. The saponins in oatmeal get activated with oatmeal is mixed in water. They give oatmeal a slippery and soapy feel to it which is perfect for sliding off dirt and grime on skin.
Homemade Dog Oatmeal Shampoo Recipe
Okay, so this is a traditional shampoo recipe. This means it’s not going to lather up like your usual dog shampoo. And that’s totally okay! It will still get your dog clean, smelling fresh and happy! Your dog totally doesn’t mind if the shampoo is soapy or not. Note: The recipe below is for one time use. Whip it up every time you’re giving your dog a bath!
What you need:
- 1 cup colloidal oatmeal
- Enough water to form a easily spreadable paste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 drops lavender essential oil
- Bowl and whisk for mixing
- Into a large bowl, dump in a cup of colloidal oatmeal.
- Now start pouring water slowly by slowly while whisking away until you get an easily spreadable texture. We don’t want the oatmeal paste to be too thick or too watery – just a nice consistency somewhere in between.
- Once you get that consistency, mix in 1 tbsp of coconut oil and 2 drops of lavender essential oils.
- And your homemade dog shampoo with oatmeal is created!
- It’s basically a silky paste and you’re going to use it by first wetting your dog then gently rubbing the paste all over your dog’s fur. Avoid the eye, nose, mouth and ears.
- Leave it to sit for about 15-20 minutes then start rinsing off with tepid water.
- Use once a week for an itchy dog then once a month for maintenance. It’s great to use in the winter months to fix dry itchy skin.
Go ahead and try this homemade dog oatmeal shampoo! It works a charm in soothing your furry friend’s fur!