The beauty benefits of tomatoes are shocking! From skin lightening to acne removal, find out how tomatoes can help you improve your natural beauty.
Tomatoes are a common fruit that are widely known around the world, in almost every country. They are bright red in color and have a distinct sour to sweet taste.
When eaten, tomatoes provide the body with many nutrients, minerals and enzymes. By applying them on the skin and hair, tomatoes also unveil many other beauty benefits that you can enjoy!
Top 10 Amazing Beauty Benefits of Tomatoes
Tomatoes are one of the cheapest fruit so it’s easy to overlook them. But within these juicy, readily available fruits are powerful benefits that can help you look your best! Here are some of the beauty benefits of tomatoes:
1. For Skin Lightening
Believe it or not, the humble tomato is actually a powerful home remedy for skin lightening. It is a natural bleaching agent that helps brighten, lighten and refresh the skin.
- Recipe: To lighten your skin with tomatoes, simply mix ¼ cup of tomato juice with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of ground oats. Apply the paste on your skin for 15 minutes. Use it every 2 – 3 days for best results.
2. Eliminates Acne and Pimples
Acne and pimples plague many people today. Tomatoes are one of the best remedies for acne and pimple removal. Consistent use of tomatoes can help eliminate acne and recurrent pimples. Tomatoes contain many enzymes, nutrients and compounds that help detox the skin, fight bacteria and dry out excess liquid from inside the pores. This helps reduce acne and pimples.
- Recipe: To easily control and prevent acne, simply make a thick paste of 2 teaspoons of bentonite clay, 1 teaspoon of tomato juice and 2 drops of tea tree oil. Apply it all over your face. Allow it to work on your skin for about 15 minutes then wash off with cold water to close the pores.
3. Exfoliates the Skin
Tomato is one of the best exfoliants for the skin. It will gently remove dead skin and dead cells which make your skin look dull, dark and unhealthy. The mild fruit acids in tomato help break down tough skin and make it smoother, more radiant and brighter.
- Recipe: For soft, smooth skin, make an exfoliating paste by mixing 1 tsp of ground oatmeal with 1 teaspoon of tomato juice. Now apply this onto your face and let it rest for 10 minutes. Using a wet cotton cloth, remove the mask gently by rubbing in circular motions. Now wash off with water and pat dry.
4. Removes Sun Tan
Some people are more likely to tan much quicker than others. The good news is, if you tan quickly, you can get rid of that tan quickly too, if you work on it immediately! As soon as you reach home from a sunny day outside, apply tomatoes to remove the sun tan effectively. Use the recipe below.
- Recipe: Apply a mixture of tomato juice, yogurt and turmeric powder immediately after coming back from sun exposure. Apply it all over your face, neck and other areas that were exposed to the sun. If you don’t have any of the above ingredients, you can simply cut half a tomato and rub it all over your face, neck and hands. It will help a great deal!
5. Great for Oil Control
Have you got oily skin? Excessively oily skin can be a bummer as it makes you look sweaty and greasy. A great way to help reduce oiliness in your skin is by using tomatoes! The astringent properties in tomatoes help tighten and regulate the skin pores , thus reducing overproduction of oil!
- Recipe: For treating excessive oiliness in skin, juice 5 ripe tomatoes and extract the juice. Now freeze this juice in your freezer for 1 day. Now you’ll have tomato juice ice cubes. Everyday before applying any other skin product, rub the tomato cubes on your face by wrapping them in a thin towel. Rub all over your face for 2 or more minutes, taking breaks if needed. This will help curb oiliness.
5. Removes Blackheads
Tomatoes have amazing detox abilities that help suck out toxins from deep within the pores. This helps remove impurities, dirt, pollution and dried up oils from inside the pores. That’s why tomatoes are very helpful in reducing and preventing blackheads.
- Recipe: For blackhead removal, simply make a paste of adequate tomato juice and activated charcoal. Now apply the paste on your nose, cheeks and any other area where you have blackheads. This paste is gentle and can be applied every day, but just make sure you moisturize properly to prevent excessive dry skin.
6. High in Antioxidants
Tomatoes are high in antioxidants, most notably one called “lycopene”. Antioxidants are very powerful compounds that can help keep the skin cells youthful and rejuvenated. Antioxidants will fight off free radicals which cause damage and premature aging to skin cells.
- Recipe: Combine tomatoes with honey to create a powerful antiaging mask for your skin. Blend 1 teaspoon of tomato juice with one tsp of honey and apply evenly all over your skin. Do this consistently 2 – 3 times a week.
7. Tones the Skin
Toning the skin is a very important step for everyone, especially if you have large pores. Tomatoes are an excellent astringent that can help tone the skin by shrinking large pores to a great extent. What’s more, using a toner before applying makeup can help you makeup last much, much longer. Make your own DIY toning spray using the recipe below.
- Recipe: Blend 2 fresh tomatoes and extract the juice by filtering it with a fine sieve. Now add the tomato juice into a spray bottle. Pour in 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into the spray bottle. Next, add 4 drops of rosemary essential oil into the spray bottle. Screw on the cap and shake vigorously to get everything mixed up. Spray all over your face and neck, keeping your eyes closed. Store in your refrigerator for 7 – 10 days.
8. Removes Blemishes and Dark Spots
Blemishes and dark spots are areas on the skin where melanin, the pigment which gives skin color, piles up and concentrates in one spot. While there are many reasons why this could occur, such as sun exposure, tomatoes are actually a wonderful remedy for this condition. The compounds in tomatoes help break up the excess melanin, dirt or toxins in blemishes and help even the skin complexion.
- Recipe: Make a thick paste of activated charcoal, tomato juice and lemon essential oil. Apply this paste on dark spots and blemishes on your face. You may also use this as a full face mask. Wash off when it dries and pat dry. Do this twice a week.
9. Soothes the Skin
All forms of skin irritation, swelling and redness can greatly be reduced with tomato application. Tomato juice is also a good remedy for skin conditions like eczema, rosaceous and psoriasis. Key components in tomato extract can help soothe itchiness and irritation. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties in tomatoes also help reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Recipe: For large scale irritation and itching on the skin, such as psoriasis, it is best to take a soothing bath using tomato goodness. Simply fill up your bath tub with warm water and add 1 cup of oats, ½ cup of Epsom salts and 1 cup of tomato juice. Soak for up to 20 minutes each week for smooth, calm skin.
10. For Beautiful Hair
Tomatoes aren’t just great for your skin – they have amazing benefits for your hair, too! When applied on the scalp, tomato juice can help stimulate hair growth and reduce the rate of hair fall. As a scalp treatment, tomatoes can eliminate dandruff and acne on the scalp. The rich nutrients in tomatoes also help to bring life to dull hair and strengthen hair strands.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy the beauty benefits of tomatoes?