Are you aware of the beauty benefits of orange blossom water? If you haven’t then prepare to be amazed!
Orange blossom water is an amazing floral water or hydrosol. It’s extracted by steam distillation from fresh white neroli (or orange blossom) flowers. You may or may not have heard of neroli essential oil, but it is another product got from steam distillation of neroli flowers!
What’s the purpose of orange blossom water? Well, in Middle Eastern cuisine, it’s popularly used for giving food such as desserts and cookies a beautiful aroma. It’s just like rose water which is also used to flavor food! And like rose water, orange blossom water has many beauty benefits for your skin and hair! Let’s explore them below!
21 Beauty Benefits of Orange Blossom Water
Here are 21 amazing beauty benefits of orange blossom water for skin, hair and more!
1. Facial Cleanser
If you have oily skin, try using orange blossom water as a natural facial cleanser! You can use it in two ways: by soaking a cotton ball with it and gently wiping your face or, making a foaming face wash as follows:
- Purifying Face Wash: Into a foaming soap dispenser, pour ¼ orange blossom water, 2 tbsp liquid castile soap, ½ tsp vegetable glycerin, 1 tsp jojoba oil and 5 drops geranium essential oil. Shake well. Use in place of your usual face wash!
2. Facial Toner
Orange blossom water makes for a perfect all-natural facial toner. In fact, this is my favorite beauty benefit of orange blossom water! Simply store ½ cup of orange blossom water in a fine mist spray bottle on your dresser/vanity table. Spray it on your skin after cleansing it.
3. Makeup Setting Spray
Another amazing way to use orange blossom water is as a makeup setting spray! You can use it directly on your face or add other ingredients to make your makeup matte and long lasting. Here’s a nice and easy recipe I love:
Mattifying Makeup Setting Spray: In a spray bottle, add ½ cup orange blossom water, ½ tsp vegetable glycerin and ½ tsp argan oil. Cap tightly and shake well before misting it 6 inches from your face after applying makeup. It makes your makeup last for at least 6 hours before you feel like doing any touch-ups.
4. Body Splash
Forget buying commercial body splashes laden with artificial parfum and chemical preservatives – yuck! Use fresh pure organic orange blossom water as a natural body splash! It has a light refreshing scent that lingers faintly on your skin.
5. Natural Perfume
As mentioned above, orange blossom water has a fresh and faint scent of beautiful neroli flowers! You can use it as a natural perfume on your skin, hair, clothes and even in your room! If you want to make the perfume stronger, add a few drops of neroli essential oil – one of the most heavenly scented essential oils ever!
6. Sunburn Relief
Relieve sunburn by spraying on orange blossom water. It cools and soothes sun damaged skin just like rose water!
7. Cools Rosacea
When sprayed on rosacea, orange blossom water gives a pleasant cooling and soothing sensation. It’s perfect for calming down your hot irritated skin!
8. Hydrates Skin
Hydrated skin is healthy and looks supple! If your face gets dry and flaky regularly, make it a habit to spray orange blossom water on your face, especially before moisturizing it. This seals moisture into your skin cells.
9. Reduces Oily Skin
Another great beauty benefit of orange blossom water is that it is a natural astringent. This means it reduces oily skin! Use it as a facial toner to keep your skin free from excess oils.
10. Has Anti-Aging Properties
Keep your skin looking timeless by using orange blossom water! It has Vitamin C that is known to boost collagen production in skin. This increases the skin’s elasticity which makes skin youthful.
11. Soothes Inflamed Skin
Spray orange blossom water onto your inflamed skin to reduce inflammation! Apply it for inflammatory skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
12. Hair Perfume
Mist orange blossom water on your hair as a light hair perfume. It’ll leave a lingering scent on your locks! You can even add neroli essential oil to it to make a stronger hair perfume!
13. Calms Irritated Skin
Skin rashes and irritated skin problems can be soothed using orange blossom water. Just spray it on your skin for a cooling and soothing sensation!
14. Can be used in a Hair Rinse
Add 2 tbsp of orange blossom water to a Pyrex measuring cup containing 2 cups of water or cooled green tea. Use this as a final hair rinse for silky shiny hair!
15. Hair Spritz
I have a beautiful recipe for a hair spritz I’m sharing with you below! Enjoy!
- Lovely Locks Hair Spritz: Into a spray bottle, pour in ½ cup of orange blossom water and ¼ cup of rose water. Now add 3 drops of rose essential oil and 3 drops of lavender essential oil. It’s optional but if your hair is on the dry damaged side, add 1 tsp of jojoba oil. Shake well and keep in a cool dry place. Mist it all over your hair before moisturizing/brushing to lock in moisture and leave your hair looking silky and lovely!
16. Fights Acne
Reduce acne by using orange blossom water! You can use it as a facial toner and make this facial mask with it too!
- Anti-Acne Face Mask: In a small bowl, add 1 tbsp colloidal oatmeal. Now pour in just enough orange blossom water and mix the two ingredients to form an easily spreadable paste. Apply it on your face, avoiding the eye area. Leave it on for 7 minutes then rinse off with tepid water. Tone with an orange blossom face spray and moisturize with 3 drops of argan oil.
17. Natural Antiseptic
Pure orange blossom water is a natural antiseptic. You can use it to clean wounds and disinfect closed wounds. It can work on boils, cuts, scrapes, popped pimple wounds, and more!
18. For Oral Care
Yes, you can also use orange blossom water as a mouthwash! Make this easy mouth-freshening and antibacterial mouthwash:
- Freshening Mouthwash: In a clean bottle, pour in ½ cup of pure orange blossom water. Next add 3 drops of peppermint essential oil and 2 tsp xylitol. Cap the bottle tightly and shake well to mix everything up. Store in your bathroom cabinet. To use, swish the mouthwash in your mouth for 2 minutes then spit it out.
19. Homemade Body Lotion
I love using hydrosols to make homemade body lotions! They produce a refreshing and non-greasy body lotion! Check out this homemade body lotion with orange blossom water:
- Refreshing & Rejuvenating Body Lotion: Into a high speed blender, add 1 cup of warm melted shea butter and 1 tsp raw honey. Now blend on medium, and while it’s blending, pour in ¼ cup of orange blossom water through the open end of your blender. Stop blending when you see the contents of the blender transforming into a white cream (this is an emulsion). Pour your lotion into a clean jar then add 20-25 drops of your favorite essential oils. I like the combination of 10 drops tea tree essential oil, 15 drops lavender essential oil and 10 drops geranium essential oil! For longer shelf life, transfer a small amount of the lotion into a smaller jar and store it on your dresser for daily use. And then the larger batch, store it in the refrigerator.
20. DIY Face Cream
One of my favorite face cream recipe (safe for acne prone skin) is as follows:
- Beautiful Skin Face Cream: Add ¼ cup shea butter, 2 tsp orange blossom water, ½ tsp raw honey, 5 drops lavender essential oil and 5 drops geranium essential oil to a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk everything up with a hand-held whisk or hand mixer until your form a well combined white cream. Store in an amber glass jar and use a pea-sized amount to moisturize.
21. Luxurious Bath
Fancy taking a luxurious bath at home? How does an orange blossom bath sound?! Try it out this weekend:
- Luxurious Bath Recipe: Run a warm bath first. Then mix up 1 cup of whole milk, 1 tbsp coconut oil and 20 drops of lavender essential oil in a Pyrex measuring cup or any clean container. Add it to the bath. Finally pour in ½ cup of orange blossom water. Swirl the bath with your hand then step inside. Soak for 30 minutes to rejuvenate your skin!
Where to Get Orange Blossom Water
It’s tricky to buy floral waters/hydrosols because you can easily end up buying a flavored water or artificial product! That’s why please buy from trusted sources! Make sure to buy 100% pure and organic orange blossom water. I like and recommend Leven Rose’s 100% Pure and Organic Orange Blossom Water! It’s the real thing and even comes in a spray bottle for easy application! Use it for your face.
If you want orange blossom water in large quantities for baths, facial steams and hair rinses, buy Cortas Orange Blossom Water. It comes in a 10 oz bottle and is food grade!
Did you enjoy reading about the beauty benefits of orange blossom water? Share this article with your friends!