The beauty benefits of lemongrass essential oil include glowing toned skin, silky shiny hair and more!
Lemongrass is an aromatic perennial grass that originally grew wild in India. It is very fragrant and commonly used in perfumes and soaps.
It is important to note that lemongrass is not related to citrus fruits at all! It is called so simply because it has a lemony scent to it.
Before we look at the beauty benefits of lemongrass essential oil, check out its ingredient profile:
Ingredient Profile of Lemongrass Essential Oil
♥ Scientific Name:
Lemongrass is native to India.
♥ Color and Smell:
It is a dark yellow to amber and reddish in color. Lemongrass essential oil has a sweet lemony scent.
It has a watery viscosity.
♥ Shelf Life:
♥ Potential for Irritation:
Lemongrass essential oil can irritate sensitive skin types. Avoid applying it during pregnancy because it is a possible skin irritant.
♥ Precautions & Tips
- Please first do a patch test with lemongrass essential oil before use. To do a patch test, mix 1 drop of lemongrass essential oil in 1 tsp of carrier oil and apply it on your inner wrist. If there’s no negative reaction within 60 minutes, then go ahead and use this oil!
- A little goes a long way. As with any essential oil, use very small amounts of lemongrass essential oil to see perfect results. Do NOT use large amounts as this will irritate and cause burning sensations on your skin and hair!
- Always dilute lemongrass essential oil before application. Use a carrier oil or any other base ingredient like shampoo, aloe vera gel, unscented lotion, etc for dilution. The dilution rate is 2 drops of lemongrass oil in 1 tsp of carrier oil like olive oil, coconut oil, etc. For more info, read How to Dilute Essential Oils
- Never drop lemongrass oil into your eyes, ears or mucous membranes.
- Do not ingest.
- Keep away from children and pets.
- Avoid during pregnancy and lactation.
- If having any severe or chronic health problems, consult a doctor before using lemongrass essential oil.
12 Beauty Benefits of Lemongrass Essential Oil
1. Reduces Oily Skin
Among the best beauty benefits of lemongrass essential oil is its oil control action. It is a natural astringent which reduces excess oily skin. You can make a refreshing fragrant oil control facial toner as follows:
- Oil Control Facial Toner: Pour ½ cup of distilled water into a 4 oz glass spray bottle using a small funnel. Next add 1 tsp witch hazel and 3 drops lemongrass essential oil. Cap tightly and lightly mist it all over your clean face. Let it dry then moisturize with a water-based moisturizer like my Green Tea Face Moisturizer.
2. Natural Deodorant
Lemongrass essential oil has a very fragrant scent that I love using in my DIY Deodorant recipes! The fresh lemony scent neutralizes body odor. Lemongrass also has antibacterial properties that kill bacteria that cause bad odor. Another unique quality about lemongrass oil is that it prevents excessive sweating! Try it out by making this deodorant spray:
- Lemongrass Deodorant Spray: In a 4 oz spray bottle, add ½ cup of distilled water, 1/4 cup witch hazel, 4 drops lemongrass essential oil, 4 drops lavender essential oil and 4 drops geranium essential oil. Cap tightly and shake well. Spray onto clean underarms.
3. Fights Fungal Skin Infections
Nail fungus, athletes foot and other fungal infections can be treated using lemongrass essential oil due to its anti-fungal properties.
4. Reduces Puffy Skin
Puffy bloated skin can be reduced using lemongrass oil because of its diuretic properties. Use it in a foot soak to reduce edema or swollen feet. It also rejuvenates tired feet! For a bloated belly, add about 5 drops of lemongrass essential oil to 8 oz of unscented body wash. You can also add about 7 drops mixed in 2 tbsp of carrier oil like olive oil to your bath water.
5. Makes Hair Shiny & Silky
Want shiny silky hair? Use lemongrass essential oil! It removes excess oils on the scalp & hair which keeps your hair looking silky and shiny. You can add a few drops directly to your shampoo or conditioner bottle, make a hair rinse with it or even make your own lemongrass shampoo! Here’s how:
- DIY Lemongrass Shampoo: Combine ¼ cup liquid castile soap, ½ cup distilled water, ½ tsp vegetable glycerin, 1 tsp jojoba oil and 9 drops lemongrass essential oil together to form a frothy mixture. Now pour it into a squirt bottle. Use as normal shampoo. It will be watered down and less lathery as compared to store-bought shampoo but it works!
6. Fights Acne
By killing acne bacteria and reducing oily skin, lemongrass essential oil helps fight off acne. You can use it to make an anti-acne face mask:
- Anti-Acne Face Mask: In a small bowl, add 1 tbsp colloidal oatmeal then mix it with about 2 tsp of liquid honey and just 1 drop of lemongrass essential oil. Apply it onto your clean face, avoiding the eye area. Rinse off thoroughly with tepid water after 7 minutes.
7. Clears Cellulite
Because of its diuretic properties, lemongrass essential oil reduces water retention and helps break down old fat cells that form cellulite. Make an anti-cellulite scrub as follows:
- Anti-Cellulite Scrub: In a medium-sized bowl, pour 1 cup granulated sugar, ¼ cup olive oil and 7 drops of lemongrass essential oil. Mix well to form a slightly gritty scrub and store in an air tight container. Use 1 tbsp of this scrub every other day in the shower on cellulite-prone areas.
8. Gets Rid of Dandruff
Got a dandruff problem? Use lemongrass essential oil! It has anti-fungal properties that fight off Malasezzia which is the yeast/fungus that causes dandruff. You can add a few drops to your shampoo bottle. Add just a little or it’ll cause burning sensations.
9. Tones Skin
Tone and firm your facial skin using lemongrass essential oil! It shrinks large pores and lifts up sagging skin. You can make the facial toner described in Number One above!
10. Good for Blackheads
Lemongrass essential oil dissolves blackheads! It helps open blocked pores too so you can use it if you have comedones and whiteheads as well. Use this scrub for blackhead removal:
- Black Removal Scrub: In a small bowl, add 2 tsp baking soda. Now add 1 tsp raw honey and 2 drops lemongrass essential oil. Mix well and gently rub the paste on your whole face, concentrating on the blackhead affected areas. Avoid the eyes. Leave it on for 10 minutes then rinse off and wash your face as usual. You can use this face mask 1-2 times a week!
Where to Get Lemongrass Essential Oil
Make sure to buy 100% pure and high quality lemongrass essential oil. I recommend Plant Therapy’s 100% Pure Lemongrass Essential Oil. It comes in a 10ml dark amber essential oil bottle. You can also buy essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs, Eden’s Garden and Rocky Mountain Oils.