Get beach waves by learning how to make sea salt spray for hair!
Sea Salt for Hair
Sea salt might seem like something damaging and drying for hair. And yes it is – but only when used in high amounts and very frequently. But using it in this sea salt spray for hair is not going to cause damage – instead it’ll leave you with gorgeous beach waves!
What sea salt does is texturize hair, making it wavy and more volumized. It does this by drawing out excess water and oils in hair that keep it flat and limp.
The more salt you add, the more texturized and wavy your hair becomes! Be careful about adding a lot of salt though, because you don’t want to dry out your hair too much!
How to Make Sea Salt Spray for Hair
Below is the recipe for how to make sea salt spray for hair. It’s super simple and incredibly versatile! You can substitute all of the ingredients for things you have. Although sea salt is the star ingredient in this recipe, if you don’t have it, feel free to use table salt instead.
You can replace the distilled water with filtered water but that means you’ll have to keep the sea salt spray in the refrigerator to prevent spoilage.
We’re also going to be using a tiny amount of argan oil to condition the hair and keeping it looking healthy and glossy. It will counteract the extreme drying effects of salt! Of course, you can replace it with coconut oil, grapeseed oil or any other oil you have on hand.
Finally, we’re going to be adding 4 drops of a fun essential oil: bergamot for a nice fresh and citrusy scent! Bergamot oil is also good for texturizing and volumizing hair! Use any other essential oil of your choice if you want!
What you need
- 1-2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup distilled water
- ¼ tsp argan oil
- 4 drops bergamot oil
- Pot & heat source
- Spray bottle
- Heat up 1 cup of distilled water in a pot. When very warm, remove from heat.
- Now start adding sea salt. Do this slowly (¼ tsp by ¼ tsp) to avoid putting too much, especially if your hair is dry and fine. For dry hair, use less salt. Stir it well till it dissolves.
- Let the salt water cool down completely then add a mixture of ¼ tsp argan oil & 4 drops of bergamot essential oil to it.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and shake well to combine everything.
- Your sea salt spray is ready! Use it on freshly washed hair for best results!
- Spray it on your damp hair then flip your head upside down and scrunch it up with a towel. Spray more if you want your hair to be more textured and wavy then scrunch it again.
- When you’ve reached the desired texture and waviness, style and you’re ready to go! Enjoy your beach waves!