You might want to know the answer to the question, ‘Can you use jojoba oil for skin lightening?’
What is Jojoba Oil?
Did you know that jojoba oil (pronounced: hoe-HOE-buh) is not actually an oil?! It’s a liquid wax ester got from jojoba beans. The Native Americans were the first to extract this oil which they used for skin ailments and moisturizing their skin and hair.
Benefits of Jojoba Oil for Skin
Jojoba oil has many benefits when applied to the skin! The most prominent beauty benefit is that it is an excellent moisturizer for all skin types! That’s because it has a similar molecular structure to our skin’s own natural oils! Plus it has a low comedogenic rating of 2 so it doesn’t easily clog up pores. It also sinks into skin fast!
- Read more benefits here: 12 Amazing Beauty Benefits of Jojoba Oil
Can you Use Jojoba Oil for Skin Lightening?
Though many people see they achieve brighter and lighter skin with consistent use of jojoba oil, it may not be the best remedy or skin care oil you can use specifically for skin lightening purposes alone.
It does reduce post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation which clears up skin, making it appear brighter.
It is also very similar to our skin’s sebum so it ‘tricks’ the skin into thinking it has produced enough oils on the skin.This is very helpful for those with acne so it helps reduce excess production of sebum, which reduces acne, and thereby acne scars, which make skin dull. So if you’re looking to lighten acne marks, then jojoba oil is a great remedy!
How to Use Jojoba Oil Skin Lightening
I found a skin lightening recipe with jojoba oil in the book, The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural Skin Care, Hair Care, Makeup, and Fragrances. It is said to help lighten dark skin. It uses licorice root which has been used as a lightening remedy especially for hyperpigmentation for ages in Ayurveda.
Okay, here’s the recipe:
What you need
- 4 tbsp jojoba oil
- ½ tsp licorice root extract
- Clean bottle
- Cotton ball
- Pour 4 tbsp of jojoba oil into a clean bottle then add ½ tsp licorice root extract.
- Cap the bottle tightly and shake it to mix the ingredients. Store in a cool dry place for a month.
- To apply, place a little on a cotton ball then apply it all over your clean face.
- Leave it on for 45 minutes then rinse off with clean water. You may wash your face again with a mild cleanser but it’s not necessary.
- Tone and moisturize your face as usual.
- This skin lightening remedy can be used daily. If you have sensitive skin, then use every other day or two days.