Learn how to use turmeric for scalp psoriasis to naturally treat your skin!
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder that affects the skin. In a person with psoriasis, the immune system mistakenly attacks the body’s skin cells, causing them to regenerate at a rapid rate of 3-4 days, yet healthy skin cells take 28 days to regenerate!
Now scalp psoriasis can cause even more physical and emotional distress in individuals. It looks like reddish white patches on the scalp. And the worst part is that it itches like crazy!
More and more people with scalp psoriasis are starting to use natural remedies to avoid chemicals in commercial psoriasis creams. This is because the chemical ingredients tend to aggravate psoriasis further!
Natural remedies work very effectively in treating scalp psoriasis! One of the most prominent natural remedies for psoriasis is turmeric! Research shows that it has been proven to successfully treat psoriasis and relieve its symptoms. Some of the studies that show turmeric is very useful for psoriasis are:
- Study 1: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26016607
- Study 2: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23825622
- Study 3: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26066761
Both topical and internal use of turmeric works well for treating psoriasis, whether it’s on the body or scalp, as you can see from the studies above!
Below, let’s look at how to use turmeric for scalp psoriasis:
How to Use Turmeric for Scalp Psoriasis
1. Drinking ‘Golden’ Milk
Golden milk is simply a mixture of turmeric, whole milk and honey with a dash of pepper. Ayurveda considers drinking turmeric in milk and adding black pepper to it to be one of the best remedies for optimum health. It boosts the immune system, fights infections and beautifies skin, among others.
To make golden milk, heat up a cup of whole milk. Now add ¼ to ½ tsp of turmeric powder, a pinch of powdered black pepper and raw honey to taste. Consume this every night before bed.
2. Taking Turmeric Supplements
Although the above golden milk drink is possibly the best way to consume turmeric for good health, you can also just take turmeric supplements. Buy good turmeric supplements and consume them daily to combat psoriasis and reduce flare-ups. Remember to take the turmeric before/with/after a fatty substance like milk, coconut oil or ghee. That’s when it’ll be readily absorbed into the body. Black pepper also makes turmeric more bioavailable!
3. DIY Turmeric Lotion for Scalp Psoriasis
You can even make a soothing and antibacterial lotion for scalp psoriasis with turmeric! Here’s the recipe:
What you need
- ½ cup shea butter
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp hemp seed oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- Double boiler
- Storage container
- Melt the shea butter, avocado oil and hemp seed oil in a double boiler.
- Once melted, let it cool off for a few minutes then add 10 drops each of tea tree and lavender essential oils.
- Next stir in 1 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Keep the mixture in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- When the time is up, get it out and whip it with a hand mixer till you get a fluffy yellow cream.
- Transfer it into a storage container.
- Massage it on your scalp and leave it on overnight with your hair in a shower cap. Wash it off gently the next morning with warm water and a mild natural sulfate-free shampoo.
4. DIY Turmeric Hair Mask for Scalp Psoriasis
This hair mask can stain your scalp yellow but it is super effective so you can’t miss out on its healing powers. Besides, when you wash your hair, the stain will be sure to disappear.
What you need
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp raw honey
- Mixing bowl and spoon
- Disposable shower cap
- Mix up the turmeric powder, coconut oil and raw honey in a mixing bowl.
- Slather it on your whole scalp then cover your head with a disposable shower cap.
- Leave it on for 60 minutes then rinse off well and wash your hair with a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
- Do this once a week.
I hope this article gave your valuable ways on how to use turmeric for scalp psoriasis!