Learn how to use tea tree oil for acne as a natural treatment!
Tea tree essential oil, also known as Melaleuca essential oil, is among the most popular essential oils. It is very versatile too! It contains powerful disinfectant properties that are useful for green cleaning and treating skin & scalp conditions, among others.
One of the reasons why tea tree oil is so popular is because it’s been touted as a very effective remedy for acne and pimples! It helps fight off acne causing bacteria, clean out pores, soothe inflammation, remove excess oils on skin and reduce the appearance of acne.
Below are some great ways showing how to use tea tree oil for acne:
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Acne
1. Add it to Your Skin Care Products
An easy way to use tea tree oil for acne is by simply adding it to your skin care products! If you use a face wash that comes in a pump bottle, remove the pump and add a few drops of tea tree essential oil (like 7-10 drops for 8 oz of face wash). Put back the pump then shake the bottle to evenly distribute the tea tree oil. Also, when you squeeze out a suitable amount of moisturizer or face serum, add a drop of tea tree oil before application.
2. Spot Treatment
This is not suitable for people with sensitive skin types but if you have large pimples, you can do a spot treatment with tea tree oil. Just put a drop of tea tree oil onto a cotton ball and press it gently on a large pimple. Do not use this treatment on a large area of your skin. It’s best to use tea tree oil diluted with another liquid base ingredient so be careful with this method!
3. DIY Tea Tree Oil Face Wash
If you’re into DIY, making a tea tree oil face wash may just tickle your fancy! Here’s how to go about it:
What you need
- ¼ cup liquid castile soap
- ½ cup distilled water
- 2 tbsp vegetable glycerin
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil
- Foaming soap dispenser
- Begin by pouring 2 tbsp of vegetable glycerin in a foaming soap dispenser.
- Next, add 10 drops of tea tree essential oil.
- Swirl the bottle to combine the tea tree oil into glycerin.
- Now pour in ¼ cup liquid castile soap and ½ cup distilled water.
- Cap tightly and shake the bottle gently to mix everything up.
- Use once in the day and night!
4. DIY Tea Tree Oil Serum
I recently shared a fantastic DIY tea tree oil serum that’s perfect for acne prone skin! It is good for reducing inflammation, fighting off acne, promoting youthful skin and brightening the skin as well! Check out the recipe: DIY Tea Tree Oil Serum
5. Tea Tree & Honey Face Mask
This is one of my favorite ways of using tea tree oil for acne: making a nourishing face mask! I like to combine ¼ cup of raw (local) honey in a small jar then add 10 drops of tea tree oil. Stir it with a disposable chopstick and store it in your bathroom cabinet, well labeled. To use, scoop out a tsp using a clean dry spoon and gently massage it all over your clean dry face, avoiding the eyes. Rinse off with warm water first, then cold water after 7 minutes.
6. Baking Soda, Honey & Tea Tree Face Scrub
I LOVE using this face scrub! It is absolutely amazing for people with comedones and clogged pores! What you’re going to do is place ¼ cup of baking soda in a jar, then pour in 2 tbsp of honey. Now mix them both up to make a smooth paste. Lastly, add 7-10 drops of tea tree essential oil and mix well again. Use a non-food use spoon to mix!
Gently apply the mixture onto your whole face, avoiding the area around your eyes. Leave it on for 7 minutes for the magic to real work. After that, rinse your face and oh my god! It will feel so smooth and soft!
7. Tea Tree Toner
Tea tree oil is a natural astringent, which means it removes excess oils from the skin. It also helps tighten & firm skin while shrinking large pores. Here’s a nice toner recipe you’re going to love!
What you need
- ¼ cup organic rose water
- ½ tsp vegetable glycerin
- 4 drops tea tree oil
- 2 oz spray bottle *preferably glass
- Into the spray bottle, add ½ tsp vegetable glycerin & 4 drops tea tree oil and mix well.
- Now pour in ¼ cup organic rose water.
- Cap tightly and shake the bottle gently.
- To use, spray on your face 8-12 inches away, with your eyes closed.
- Follow up with moisturizer. You can use the one below! 😉
8. Anti-Acne Face Cream
I also use tea tree oil in my face cream! It contains black seed oil which is antibacterial and contains linoleic acid that makes the skin’s natural oils less thick and sticky so that it won’t clog pores and cause breakouts. Here’s the recipe:
What you need
- ¼ cup unrefined shea butter
- 2 tsp black seed oil
- 4 drops tea tree essential oil
- 4 drops lavender essential oil
- 4 drops geranium essential oil
- Small blender
- Small glass jar for storage
- Into a blender, add ¼ cup unrefined shea butter and 2 tbsp black seed oil. Blend for a few seconds until you get a smooth white cream.
- Transfer it into a glass jar then add your essential oils and stir them in with a disposable chopstick.
- Apply a peas-sized amount every after you wash your face.
Which of these ways are you planning on using for treating acne? Share below!