Soaking walnuts and blending them into a sweet and delectable milkshake are a sure-fire way to enjoy these brain-shaped nuts, which not surprisingly, are incredibly helpful for brain health and enhanced cognitive function. This vegan apple banana walnut milkshake is so easy to make and yet so filling and nutritious – it makes for a great pre-workout smoothie! To make a vegan milkshake, all you need is a plant-based milk such as hemp seed milk, soy bean milk or coconut milk. Alternatively you could use nut milks like cashew milk, almond milk or peanut milk. Your apple walnut milkshake will definitely vary in taste depending on the vegan mylk you decide to use. My go-to non-diary milk is coconut milk and I find that this is the milk that works best with smoothies and milkshakes such as these. Almond milk is a close favorite, too, but is not nearly as cheap as coconut milk! How to make an utterly creamy VEGAN apple walnut milkshake
Vegan Apple Banana Walnut Milkshake Recipe
• Apple – ½ (chopped)
• Banana – ½ (chopped)
• Walnuts – 6 (soaked)
• Coconut milk – ½ cup
• Natural sweetener – as needed (I didn’t use)
1. Begin by prepping your ingredients. Wash your apple and chop it up, along with the banana. Soak your walnuts in water for 15 – 20 minutes. Alternatively, you could soak them overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Now into a blender, add all the chopped ingredients and the coconut milk and blend away!
3. When a smooth consistency is reached, check for the sweetness. For me, my banana and apple were extra sweet and I found no need to add any more sweetener! If you need more sweetness, add in your sweetener of choice and give it another blend.
4. Pour into a serving glass and your creamy vegan walnut milkshake is ready to slurp right up! Oh, YUM!
1. These are the measurement for one serving of apple walnut milkshake. If you want to make more, simply double the recipe.
2. Make sure you stay away from refined sugar, and those so called “brown sugars”, which are simply white sugar with a bit of molasses added back to give the brown colour. Healthy sweeteners include maple syrup, blackstrap molasses, honey and unrefined cane sugar.
3. As always, for best taste, always use fresh produce!