I’m so happy that more and more people are turning to natural, plant-based options to lighten their skin. We all know that commercial skin lightening products contain dangerous derivatives and toxic ingredients. Also known as skin bleach, store-bought skin lightening products promise to lighten your complexion in 3 weeks – but at what cost?
Harmful ingredients like hydroquinine and mercury are often found in commercial skin lightening products.
Hydroquinone causes immediate skin damage and leads to skin cancer in the long run.
Mercury is a toxic element that destroys the immune system and causes brain damage.
Are you willing to suffer from irreversible damage to your skin just to lighten it by a few shades? I don’t think so!
Here’s the Good News!
I’m here with some good news! You can make your own DIY skin lightening serum at home. All you need are a few 100% natural and safe ingredients! DIY skin products are fun! I must say, I have the utmost respect for people who want to make their own DIY homemade products! Want a simple yet strong skin lightening recipe? Here it is!
Recipe for DIY Skin Lightening Serum
For this simple yet amazing skin lightening oil recipe, all we need are 3 potent ingredients. Before we get to the measurements and directions, let’s check out how each of these ingredients work:
► Argan oil: You may already know that argan oil is rare because it is only found in Morocco, and nowhere else in the world. Extracted from the nuts of the argan tree, this precious oil is the secret ingredient of many high-end luxury products that leave your skin impeccably smooth and bright. Many oils like almond oil and olive oil can actually darken your skin. But argan oil is one that will actually support skin lightening and prevent dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
► Lemon essential oil: Lemon juice and lemon rind are home remedies that are used to lighten the skin. But with lemon essential oil, you have something that is 100x more potent and powerful. Lemon oil is a cold-pressed collection of the minuscule amounts of oily essence found in the peels of lemons. It is one of the best oils for skin lightening.
► Sandalwood essential oil: Another ancient secret for skin lightening is sandalwood essential oil. For thousands of years, sandalwood powder was made into a paste that was applied onto the skin to lighten the complexion. Again, with sandalwood essential oil, fragrant sandal wood pieces are steam distilled to capture the precious volatile oils that embody the most powerful and healing properties. Along with lemon oil, sandalwood is one of the most powerful remedies for skin lightening and brightening.
- ½ cup of argan oil (where to get it)
- 6 drops of lemon essential oil (where to get it)
- 6 drops of sandalwood essential oil (where to get it)
- In a suitable amber glass dropper bottle, first pour in the argan oil, with the help of a small funnel. Next, carefully drop in the essential oils.
- Firmly place the cap and shake gently to mix all the ingredients.
How to Use Your DIY Skin Lightening Serum
- Begin by washing your face with a mild face wash or cleanser. Then make sure you use a gentle exfoliating product to remove all the dirt and dead cells on the skin. With a cleansed and exfoliated face, your skin lightening serum will penetrate more effectively into your pores and work better.
- Place about 5 drops of the serum into your palms and apply all over your face and neck. Don’t skip your neck because you don’t want to end up with a light-skinned face and dark-skinned neck!
- Only apply this serum at night.
- Do not apply the serum in the day time, especially if you will step into the sun. This is because lemon essential oil is photosensitive and may cause skin damage if exposed to UV rays.