About 20% of children worldwide are said to suffer from eczema. It is a debilitating condition that causes dry flaky skin, itchiness, crusty skin, blisters and other painful skin problems. People with eczema have very sensitive skin that reacts badly to conventional products such as lotions, soap and body washes.
That’s why many people who suffer from eczema or have kids who’ve got eczema are trying to make their own DIY skin care products to help find relief. There are lots of recipes out there for eczema lotion, eczema salve and eczema cream but there’s not really much on body washes. In this post, I’m going to share with you a simple but effective DIY eczema body wash!
Before we check out the recipe, let’s first explore the benefits of each ingredient:
- Liquid castile soap – Made from vegetable oils, liquid castile soap is a vegan friendly and totally natural foaming soap. It is good for sensitive skin types including eczema affected skin.
- Coconut oil – This oil is wonderfully moisturizing and soothing to eczema. It also has antibacterial properties that keep germs away from skin.
- Raw honey – Filled to the brim with nourishing vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, raw honey is an amazing healer for a myriad of skin conditions. It is also a natural humectant, which means it draws moisture from the surroundings and seals it into the skin. It also treats wounds and blisters.
- Vitamin E oil – This vitamin is a strong antioxidant. It also lubricates skin, speeds up the rate at which cells renew and regenerate. Vitamin E oil is necessary for soft, smooth and youthful skin.
- Lavender oil – This essential oil is gentle and soothing. It calms down itchy irritated and inflamed skin. Lavender oil also gives this DIY eczema body wash a great scent!
- Tea tree oil – A powerful antiseptic, tea tree oil disinfects skin and cleanses it. It fights off germs that can infect weeping eczema.
DIY Eczema Body Wash
What you Need
- 2/3 cup liquid castile soap (where to get it)
- ¼ cup coconut oil (where to get it)
- ¼ cup raw honey (where to get it)
- 1 tsp vitamin E oil (where to get it)
- 7 drops lavender oil (where to get it)
- 5 drops tea tree oil (where to get it)
- Pyrex measuring cup (where to get it)
- Flip top bottle (where to get it)
- Pot of hot water
- Whisk for mixing (where to get it)
- Add the coconut oil into the Pyrex measuring cup and gently melt it down. You can do this by placing the Pyrex cup in a pot of hot water.
- Once melted, add the raw honey and vitamin E oil. Whisk well until mixed together.
- Add the liquid castile soap and essential oils and whisk again.
- Now pour the mixture carefully into your flip top bottle.
- That’s it! Your DIY eczema body wash is ready! Store in a cool dry place and make sure not to get any water into it. Shake well before use.
- Do not get this body wash in your eyes or mucous membranes.
- If you’re allergic to lavender and tea tree oils, do not use them. Do a patch test first to see if you react to them.
- Use caution when adding the essential oils. A little goes a long way. Remember to always dilute essential oils: 1 tsp of vegetable oil/fatty substance needs only 2 drops of essential oil for adults and 1 drop of essential oil for kids.
Try out this incredibly moisturizing and healing DIY eczema body wash and come share your results!